• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

RNY 3/15-surprised by cravings

Hi everyone, I’m Jill. I had gastric bypass on 3/15 and just found this forum today. I had a rough 3 days in hospital with terribly managed pain but am doing much better at home. I’m just surprised at how strong the food cravings have been! I’m not struggling to fight them, just wasn’t expecting them at this early stage. Have others experienced this? Happy to have found a community for support!

Hi Jill, welcome to the group. Congrats on your surgery, sorry though that you had a rough start. Were you on a liquid diet prior to surgery? If so, that combined with liquids after sometimes make those cravings stronger as you tire of liquids only. I remember just wishing I could have some scrambled eggs when I got to the pureed stage. Hang in there as it will get better once you can eat a variety of things.

Hi Jill, welcome to the group. Congrats on your surgery, sorry though that you had a rough start. Were you on a liquid diet prior to surgery? If so, that combined with liquids after sometimes make those cravings stronger as you tire of liquids only. I remember just wishing I could have some scrambled eggs when I got to the pureed stage. Hang in there as it will get better once you can eat a variety of things.
Thanks Judy! Yes, liquids only for 3 days prior to surgery so it’s been about 10 days of all liquid with a little sugar free jello the past 3 days (which I don’t love). My first follow up is Tues and I think it’s another week of liquids after that so hopefully graduating to foods will help. Scrambled eggs sound amazing. LOL

Hi!! I had my RYN on 2/22 and my cravings are through the roof. I’ve found most of the cravings I get I try to turn into mess I can have later. Sadly I’m still weeks if not months out to have some of them :-( but others I try to figure out other ways to meet them. (Example I want tacos but once I’m cleared to have tomato’s I’ll just make the meat and veggies without a shell for me)

Welcome! I didn’t have issues with cravings until recently, but I had my gallbladder out at the same time and I think it had more to do with that in the beginning. It’s hard in the beginning, but do your best to stay hydrated. My nutritional guide said I could have eggs in the soft/pureed phase, but they did not settle well at all. Come to find out my surgeon does not like eggs for his bypass patients until a few months out. Hopefully they’ll sit better with you.

I did not have to do a pre op liquid diet at all but I did 6 weeks post op liquid( hint from my Dr stay on liquid longer to lose weight faster) then 4 weeks purée and with that I still did protein shakes and added purée very slowly. Once I added soft food the cravings came. I still do protein shakes daily. For convenience and I enjoy them and I’m 8 months out post op I met by goal 7months post op and now I’m below my goal weight some days are so easy and other days the struggle of cravings are there. It’s sad because I’m NOT hungry in my belly it’s head hungry and fighting that urge.

Cravings are not unusual for many people after RNY or sleeve. Some people experience a lot more hunger during the liquid and soft food phase than others. I had periods of hunger more often before I started eating soft foods and regular foods after that. For me, my hunger regulated better once I got about 2 months post-op. The hunger feelings for some people is remnants of old habits and routines from your pre-surgery life. Some of it may actually be thirst which can manifest as hunger. Sometimes it is plain old hunger that we will still have to deal with and focus on making good choices.

Although the surgery does effect our hunger hormones, those hormones are still there and the level of influence of those hormones can be quite a bit different from person to person. You also have to keep in mind that you are eating a significantly lower amount of calories. It can take some people's bodies some time to adjust to that.

From the beginning to now, I generally take the following steps when I feel hungry but I don't think it's really time for me to eat something:
  1. Get some about 16 oz of water or other drink, like protein water, and sip it over 30 minutes. If I still feel hungry,
  2. Continue sipping water and find something distracting to do, such as a hobby, work project or browsing bariatric forums. If I still feel hungry,
  3. Have a protein shake/bar/healthy snack, or if it is now time, have an appropriate meal

Also, after you are eating regular food again, look for something healthy that can by your "go to" in between meal snack. For me, I eat carrots and hummus. I enjoy it, it I feel satiated pretty quickly, and I don't feel guilty about snacking. I would recommend some sort of whole food vs something processed, but as a last resort I'll have a protein bar or shake if I don't have a whole food available too me. It usually doesn't take much of some vegetables to get you feeling full, especially if you eat slowly.

You'll probably have ups and downs throughout the process and for the rest of your life when it comes to hunger. Now is the time, while the effects of the surgery will be at its peak for the next several months to really focus on building a new relationship with food and new habits.

I'm sure you'll do great! Stick with your recommended plan and things will come together. :)

Cravings are not unusual for many people after RNY or sleeve. Some people experience a lot more hunger during the liquid and soft food phase than others. I had periods of hunger more often before I started eating soft foods and regular foods after that. For me, my hunger regulated better once I got about 2 months post-op. The hunger feelings for some people is remnants of old habits and routines from your pre-surgery life. Some of it may actually be thirst which can manifest as hunger. Sometimes it is plain old hunger that we will still have to deal with and focus on making good choices.

Although the surgery does effect our hunger hormones, those hormones are still there and the level of influence of those hormones can be quite a bit different from person to person. You also have to keep in mind that you are eating a significantly lower amount of calories. It can take some people's bodies some time to adjust to that.

From the beginning to now, I generally take the following steps when I feel hungry but I don't think it's really time for me to eat something:
  1. Get some about 16 oz of water or other drink, like protein water, and sip it over 30 minutes. If I still feel hungry,
  2. Continue sipping water and find something distracting to do, such as a hobby, work project or browsing bariatric forums. If I still feel hungry,
  3. Have a protein shake/bar/healthy snack, or if it is now time, have an appropriate meal
Also, after you are eating regular food again, look for something healthy that can by your "go to" in between meal snack. For me, I eat carrots and hummus. I enjoy it, it I feel satiated pretty quickly, and I don't feel guilty about snacking. I would recommend some sort of whole food vs something processed, but as a last resort I'll have a protein bar or shake if I don't have a whole food available too me. It usually doesn't take much of some vegetables to get you feeling full, especially if you eat slowly.

You'll probably have ups and downs throughout the process and for the rest of your life when it comes to hunger. Now is the time, while the effects of the surgery will be at its peak for the next several months to really focus on building a new relationship with food and new habits.

I'm sure you'll do great! Stick with your recommended plan and things will come together. :)
This is so so helpful, thank you. I really appreciate the time and thought out into it!

When I had the surgery, my tongue had many cravings. My stomach was fine with it until I actually tried it!! Some foods looked good, tasted good, but sat really hard in my new gut! Try very small portions of every new food. Throwing up is never fun, but with the new stomach, its not good.

Thank you! Interestingly my cravings subsided after a week. In the past I would have given in n/c the thoughts and feelings would get strong and giving in provided relief. This time without giving in they went away on their own and haven’t come back! I’m sure they will rise up at some point but now I know they are temporary and I can ride them out!

Back