• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Rookie

Hello all! My name is Kesha and I am just starting my weight loss journey. I attended my first seminar last night and I am awaiting my first appointment date. I was encouraged to find a support group to help me throughout this process. I am 28 years old and a former basketball player (6'3"...thus the corny handle name lol) and I am excited and nervous about this new journey. I have chosen not to tell anyone except my mother about this decision. It is very personal but this may change later on. I work full time and I am also in pharmacy school (Graduation in May!!). I am nervous that my insurance won't cover this procedure. I am open to any advice about the entire process!

Last edited:
Hello all! My name is Kesha and I am just starting my weight loss journey. I attended my first seminar last night and I am awaiting my first appointment date. I was encouraged to find a support group to help me throughout this process. I am 28 years old and a former basketball player (6'3"...thus the corny handle name lol) and I am excited and nervous about this new journey. I have chosen not to tell anyone except my mother about this decision. It is very personal but this may change later on. I work full time and I am also in pharmacy school (Graduation in May!!). I am nervous that my insurance won't cover this procedure. I am open to any advice about the entire process!

Hi Kesha and welcome to our group! :) I totally agree with you about being selective about who you share this choice with. Many of us have kept our lists small. It's a very personal decision.

Let us know what questions you have and someone is sure to write back. We have lots of great people here with a ton of helpful information. :)

Kesha, you sound well-prepared. It is important, though, that you get to work on that insurance angle. Do you have private insurance now, or do you intend to wait until you graduate & are covered by the lab or pharmacy that hires you? Not being covered is the most disappointing of all outcomes, but if you have trouble with it up front, your surgeon can usually halp the insurance company change its mind. Let's talk about that first & then we can all jump in & support you with information that will make your journey a pleasure. Welcome to the group.

Hi @MsTallerThanU; Welcome to the group. I didn't share my weight loss plans with everyone either; just a select few because I'm a private person also.

Is it possible for you to contact your health insurance company and ask them for the qualification criteria for bariatric surgery? I contacted mine, and they were very helpful. They even gave me the website to review, which allowed me to know exactly what was needed before I got started. As patients, we are responsible to know what our insurance covers and doesn't cover (in other words, ins companies don't accept "I didn't know it wasn't covered"). I work in healthcare and having access to pre-authorization needs is a right for all subscribers--to be informed or be able to access your benefits info and coverage details. I'm glad I checked because my insurance only required 1 nutritionist visit, but the benefits manager in my surgeon's office thought it was 3 visits (it used to be). Had I not known, I would've scheduled 2 additional visits that were not required.....for the sake of meeting criteria.

Hope all goes well for you during this time, and please keep us informed, ask any questions, and know that we support you!

Good morning! Thanks everyone for the great advice! I reached out to my insurance company, I have private insurance, they told me that the surgery wasn't covered even if it helps with other issues associated with obesity. I let my doctors office know and they said they would reach out to the insurance company themselves so I am just waiting to hear back. I hate to get all worked up and excited over something that may not happen. I appreciate all the encouragement I have been getting is great, you all give me great hope!

Back