• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Running nose and sneezing

My wife & I both had the Duodenal Switch about a year ago. I lost 150 lbs and she lost about 80 lbs. we have one thing in common that we don't understand. As soon as we get done eating we both get running noses and start sneezing. We asked our surgan about this and he said he has never heard of this in his 35 years of performing this surgery. Has anybody else had this problem?

Hey Chuck, I am 3 months out and i have the hiccup's when i'm full, my nose has run a few times but it has seemed to stopped now.???????
I LOVE MY DS! :cool:

Nose running? Hiccups? Wow, I didn't know there could even be a correlation between surgery and either of those. I had Roux-N-Y 4 years ago. I occasionally get hot after eating something spicy, but no nose running or hiccups. I'm curious to know why those would happen. Histamine response? (nose) Diaphragm something something? (hiccups)

I had lapband in 2006, we were told there are signs to watch for when you have eaten enough. You nose might begin to run, or you might have A hiccup. It has been my experience that if I get those deep hiccups after eating, I am probably going to lose what I just ate.

OH OH OHHHHHHHHHHH I know the answer to this one!!!!!!

The hiccups is new to me. Haven't heard hiccups yet, but it makes perfect sence. I hiccup is an interruption in the flow of air...breathing. A sneeze....lol....those glorious sneezes I live for.

My pouch rests against my aorta. When I fill it, it pushes on the aorta and my body naturally responds with a simple sneeze. When I fill the pouch, sometimes I sneeze 8 or 9 times then it stops. And amazingly, I feel the pressure in my pouch go away. The sneezes tend to push the food out of the pouch into the intestines. This was confirmed during an upper GI. I drank a bit too much of the cup-of-grossness-barium and as hard as I tried, once it all hit the pouch, it was so cool btw, you could see the pouch expand and like clockwork, I started sneezing and poof! the liquid shot out of the pouch.

Hiccuping has to be on the same lines. I haven't had it so I have never brought that up with my surgeon or his assistant. It's worth looking into though. The runny nose....has to be the same. If it always happens, it has to be related...this is where I am adamant I don't care what the medical profession says...we live it, we feel it, we KNOW it happens. The doctors can only make note of this. I would love to know just how many that have the gastric bypass have this occur. What have y'all had done? Mine was a RNY.

Please respond if you can relate to this. I really want to know this.

I had gastric sleeve on 12/1/11 and I have been having sneezing and hiccuping issues. Didn't realize they were signs that I were full - interesting.

I am 6 years post op with the Gastric bypass and I find if I eat too much or too fast I start sneezing and it helps push the food down and sometimes I can eat a little more. I read somewhere that a little irritation to the stomach can cause sneezing and runny nose. This started happening to me after surgery and can be annoying especially when out with the family at a restraunt

Back