• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Runny nose after surgery

I too have the runny nose problem, but not at first. Initially, I had left shoulder pain, a sharp pain if I overfilled my pouch. I called it my meal barometer! Now I have the stuffy ears and runny nose. I too thought it was my allergies and my poor PCP has written a ton of prescriptions for me. Then I had my post op appt and was told all this is related to the surgery. I can deal with runny nose and lot better than size 22x pants, so I'm okay with it!

My nose runs from the time I wake up until the time I fall asleep. Taking Benedryl helps but it dires me out too much so I just carry tissues around with me 24/7. I've adopted my mother-in-laws practice of rolling a few clean tissues into my shirt sleeve to keep them handy. I just hope to retrieve them all before the clothes make it into the washer *LOL* Nothing like spending half the afternoon plucking tiny pieces of washed tissues off of dark clothing.

After reading a post from another member, Laurieann, regarding having a ruuny nose after surgery, I found this article about the vagus nereve on the Internet. Damage to this nerve during gastric bypass is what causes the runny nose a lot of us are now having. Like many other people I just thought my allergies were just acting up.

Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass
It's not necessarily damage or compromised, often it's your body's way of telling you, "hey, you're full, STOP!"

notice that the thread came from notice that the thread came from 2013. A lot of stuff has changed since then. I could not find Reliable information on the vagus nerve but you did come, so good on you! Welcome to the group.

Back