• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Scale is WRONG

I have discovered that the scale at the bariatric center is WAY OFF. I weighed myself at home (with clothes on) right before I left for my appointment. When they weighed me at the clinic it was 3 pounds higher than my home scale. My home scale is perfectly calibrated. We used a 30 pound bag of dog food to check the scale.

QUESTION: I am required to lose 5 pounds by next week’s appointment. Since their scale is not accurate, I would actually need to lose 8 pounds to show the same 5 pound results. This seems unfair. How do I deal with this? Should I take a photo of my scale reading at home?

Side note: When I told my dietician that their office scale was 3 pounds higher, she said “Yeah, we’ve had a lot of patients tell us that our scale is high.” Sigh.

You are loosing 5 lbs from their recorded weight. So it is still 5 lbs. If your scale says 200, it needs to say 195 before you next visit. If theirs says 205, then you need it to say 200 at the next visit. It is all the same at the end of the day. It is still 5 lbs

They actually set a number of 218 pounds. My original weight was taken on a different scale at the other end of the hallway. On my second appointment, they weighed me on a new scale at the other end of the hallway. I compared the weigh on my third appointment. My appointment next week is at a different office location, so I’m screwed. I have no idea how accurate that scale is.

What she said! Go by the weight on there scale - 5 pounds is 5 pounds.

Did you have your shoes on at home? Get naked then get on their scale - do whatever works. It’s all trying to get you to the same place - ready for your surgery. Good luck. You got this!!

If they weighed you on scale A today, you need to weigh 218 on scale A one week from now. Your home scale is irrelevant, and it doesn't matter at all if their scale is "high". If you lose 5lbs, then it'll show up. You are not going to convince them that you lost 5lbs on "your scale", even with a photo. So, I would suggest worrying more about losing the 5lbs than the accuracy of different scales. Good luck.

If they weighed you on scale A today, you need to weigh 218 on scale A one week from now. Your home scale is irrelevant, and it doesn't matter at all if their scale is "high". If you lose 5lbs, then it'll show up. You are not going to convince them that you lost 5lbs on "your scale", even with a photo. So, I would suggest worrying more about losing the 5lbs than the accuracy of different scales. Good luck.
The issue is that I will be weighed on a third and different scale next week. I have no idea of it’s accuracy. I guess I will need to lose 8 pounds on my home scale to give myself a buffer.

I was told on January 25th to weigh 218 on my final pre-surgery appointment, which is next Thursday. Then I will get a surgery date. I had no idea back then when my final appointment would be since I was just starting the process. I lost 8 pounds, then gained back two. It will be fine. I will do protein shakes next week to ensure that I lose the two extra pounds. If their office scale is way off, I will advocate for myself and argue that I met the goal weight on my previous office visit on February 24th.

I’m probably over thinking the whole thing and worrying too much. But seriously, I have been hoping and praying for a surgery date and I don’t want anything to mess up my chances. I feel like I have been jumping through hoops since day one and I think it’s making me a little crazy and paranoid!
You will be ok, just do what you can. Try to start tracking your calories, stay under 2000 and you will likely loose a few lbs by then. Really it doesn't matter what you eat to loose weight it is purely a calorie deficient that allows for weight loss. The healthy food choices are more for health reasons, not actual weight loss. Take that with a grain of salt tho, everyone's body reacts differently to different foods which could slow down or speed up weight loss/gain.
Example: I retain water like it is my job, I can easily gain 10lbs from morning to night if I eat crap or eat out all day from all the salt in processed foods.

In addition: We all have lost and gained and lost and gained over and over, so really you know how to loose 5-10 lbs it is the keeping it off that is the problem and you only need to do it for a month so get your head focused and do what you already know for the next few weeks and you will be fine!

Last edited:
Back