• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Scale stalling

I need to set a GOAL and reach...

...I joined to hear positive, encouraging and good advise not to see someone lecture me and second guest the professional that worked with me in this journey

Welcome to the group TV. I have to say that words on the internet are the absolute hardest words to understand. You cannot hear the person's inflection and you cannot have a one-on-one exchange of ideas. This makes things seem much bigger and more difficult than they should be.

It is absolutely okay to disagree with someone in this group and to say that you disagree with that person. I am not sure I understand what Kay is saying. But I have to say that semantically, I feel like I disagree with her. But it really is kind of splitting hairs and meanings. I need to ask her to explain it better and maybe even to use examples because what I hear is a lot of conflicting synonyms.

If you don't like what you hear from one person, go listen to another. We don't control each other here the group and that encourages expression of all opinions and ideas. Believe me, I have pissed off a few people in my time. I have my own beliefs and opinions and I do not hesitate to inflict them on other people when I think they're doing the wrong thing.

However, I feel like I represent the group sometimes when I talk, so I don't want to sound like an a-hole. We really are here to support you as individuals and as an entire group.

You asked for suggestions so the first one I'm going to give you is to relax. Change your goal because there's no way you're going to lose 30 lb in the next 2 weeks. Don't set up unrealistic goals for yourself.

It would be a cruelty to coddle you and pat you on the head and say everything is going to be fine when you are really truly agonizing about this. You need some straight talk. And that straight talk is to look within yourself and be ruthlessly honest about what it is you're doing. I haven't done the math on your weight loss but it sounds like you have done very very well but that your goal of the end of the year is pretty much an impossible one to meet. I have said many times it took me fourteen months to lose 115 pounds. And I had a very long Plateau at -70 pounds that lasted about three months. I thought I was going to die.

But your desire does not control your body. Your body moves as fast as it is capable of moving, and no faster. Actually to expect anything within any time frame is ridiculous. If we could have controlled our weight loss we wouldn't have needed surgery. This is a fact. There is a percentage of people who will never be able to lose weight without surgical intervention. That is just how it is.

I hope you find some good advice here that will both comfort and embolden you. You have already done such amazing work. Take it easy on yourself. You're going to make it. Just don't ask for more than your body can give you at one time.

Did that help? Is there anything else I can say do you have any more questions? I have had great success and I have 12 years under my belt good morning. I would love to share my Success With You.

I wish they didn't call this a weight-loss surgery, becuase it puts too much emphasis on weight-loss; when it should be called a weight management surgery.

But you can reach a "goal weight" without having a surgery. That's not the reason why we did this surgery. If it is your motivation for having this surgery, your therapist should've never approved you for this.

Hey Kay, I have to say that I disagree with everything that you wrote above. Bariatric surgery is weight loss surgery. The surgery is a separate event from your life. What you do after the surgery is Weight Management. But the surgery is not weight management. It is a weight loss surgery. It works on principles of malabsorption and malnutrition. The weight management kicks in after with the assistance of a nutritionist. And after that, after you learn how to eat properly, after you commit yourself to a lifetime of health, whatever the results you get are the results you get. The number of people who regain their weight is really small. It is really really hard to gain the weight back. You have to really hurt your body in order to get that much food into your tiny little p o u c h.

And I weigh myself everyday, right after I go to the bathroom, before I get dressed or take a shower. It doesn't drive me crazy as I have already demonstrated, I am a bariatric success story.

Most important here is that we are all different people and we all have different experiences. It sounds to me like you know someone who drove herself crazy with the scale and ended up gaining all her weight back but I have not heard that story from anyone here in this group, nor have I read any stories similar to it in the massive quantity of research I have done on this topic.

Please feel free to correct me if I am not interpreting your words correctly. I am a writer with a huge vocabulary so when people use words, I have a tendency to notice how they use them. I am just not convinced that gastric bypass surgery could be referred to as weight management. And as a person who was obese for about 20 years, I'm here to tell you that there is no way I could ever have lost that weight on my own, cuz I went to a dozen different clinics in groups trying to improve my health. The emotional pain that was driving me to eat is much stronger than my ability to do what was best for my health. I needed a surgical intervention and after I got it my life changed, I reached my goal, I became happier, and weight management was an unconscious part of my lifestyle. But I really didn't think about it that much. I just kept buying nicer clothes and better makeup and going out more and reading better books. I was completely unselfconscious about my journey.

Over and over again doctors and patience tell you bariatric surgery is a tool. It changes the way you digest food. It is not and end-all-be-all and that is why it is always accompanied by nutritional education. Then you go home. What you do after that is entirely up to you. So if you practice weight management, good for you. But that is not necessarily what everyone else does. Or perhaps I should say weight management is a very broad term and I am not sure what you mean when you used it.

Welcome to the group TV. I have to say that words on the internet are the absolute hardest words to understand. You cannot hear the person's inflection and you cannot have a one-on-one exchange of ideas. This makes things seem much bigger and more difficult than they should be.

It is absolutely okay to disagree with someone in this group and to say that you disagree with that person. I am not sure I understand what Kay is saying. But I have to say that semantically, I feel like I disagree with her. But it really is kind of splitting hairs and meanings. I need to ask her to explain it better and maybe even to use examples because what I hear is a lot of conflicting synonyms.

If you don't like what you hear from one person, go listen to another. We don't control each other here the group and that encourages expression of all opinions and ideas. Believe me, I have pissed off a few people in my time. I have my own beliefs and opinions and I do not hesitate to inflict them on other people when I think they're doing the wrong thing.

However, I feel like I represent the group sometimes when I talk, so I don't want to sound like an a-hole. We really are here to support you as individuals and as an entire group.

You asked for suggestions so the first one I'm going to give you is to relax. Change your goal because there's no way you're going to lose 30 lb in the next 2 weeks. Don't set up unrealistic goals for yourself.

It would be a cruelty to coddle you and pat you on the head and say everything is going to be fine when you are really truly agonizing about this. You need some straight talk. And that straight talk is to look within yourself and be ruthlessly honest about what it is you're doing. I haven't done the math on your weight loss but it sounds like you have done very very well but that your goal of the end of the year is pretty much an impossible one to meet. I have said many times it took me fourteen months to lose 115 pounds. And I had a very long Plateau at -70 pounds that lasted about three months. I thought I was going to die.

But your desire does not control your body. Your body moves as fast as it is capable of moving, and no faster. Actually to expect anything within any time frame is ridiculous. If we could have controlled our weight loss we wouldn't have needed surgery. This is a fact. There is a percentage of people who will never be able to lose weight without surgical intervention. That is just how it is.

I hope you find some good advice here that will both comfort and embolden you. You have already done such amazing work. Take it easy on yourself. You're going to make it. Just don't ask for more than your body can give you at one time.

Did that help? Is there anything else I can say do you have any more questions? I have had great success and I have 12 years under my belt good morning. I would love to share my Success With You.
Thank you for your words, it does help. In total I have lost 90 something lbs since surgery and believe me I am so grateful and appreciate the opportunity life is giving me. I have been over weight for over 25 years and of course in between those years on the yo-yo wagon. I know that all is not going away in a few months, when it took years to get to that point. I am working hard and will continue to work hard to keep my weight in a good place, I just want to be and feel healthy not necessary focus on a number on the scale. I appreciate your time and time time all of the members of the group put into reading and coming back with suggestions and encouragement and looking forward to a healthy and positive 2020. Happy Holidays.

Thank you for your words, it does help. In total I have lost 90 something lbs since surgery and believe me I am so grateful and appreciate the opportunity life is giving me. I have been over weight for over 25 years and of course in between those years on the yo-yo wagon. I know that all is not going away in a few months, when it took years to get to that point. I am working hard and will continue to work hard to keep my weight in a good place, I just want to be and feel healthy not necessary focus on a number on the scale. I appreciate your time and time time all of the members of the group put into reading and coming back with suggestions and encouragement and looking forward to a healthy and positive 2020. Happy Holidays.

that is what most of us want believe that. i dont watch the scales. but i am 5 months out and lost over a hundred lbs already. we lose at different speeds. but now i am running into health problems so the stall is just for your body to catch up with you. but you are doing great keep up that great work

Back