• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Scared but finally took that leap of faith

leap of faith

After researching for about a year I finally had the sleeve surgery done on October 16,2012. The surgery went fine and I was in the hospital for two days. I have done well, but have been concerned about the swelling in my feet and hands. Also I have had two acute rounds of runs to the bathroom. Is this normal, and how long will it be a problem?

leap of faith-The swelling may be due to fluid retention from all of the IV fluids that were pumped into you. If the scale shows a weight gain since you were admitted to the hospital then it is more than likely that fluid retention is the culprit. If you are having other symptons like itching, redness or a rash or swelling of the face, neck or tongue, shortness of breath or difficulty swallowing then I would call the doctor to discuss further because it could be an allergic reaction.

It's not uncommon to have the runs after surgery or even to become constipated. If the runs haven't stopped by now you need to call the surgeon for direction. The last thing you need is to become dehydrated. Make sure you are getting all of you fluids in daily.

Back