• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Scared

Bettyj

Hi I am getting prepared for the gastric bypass surgery, till this point I was ok after having customer a doctor who discurage me from having the surgery telling me it's going to be hell for the rest of my life that I am going to be towing up and having runs all the time and become very depressed I am having second thoughts becoming scared pls tell me he was wrong and it's not that bad

Hi Betty!

I was afraid of gastric bypass surgery and procrastinated for 10 years about having it. Then my husband died and my health deteriorated so bad I thought I was going to die. My Cardiologist told me he had other patients who had the bypass and it changed their lives. I decided to go for it and it was the best advice I ever got. I lost over 200 lb in about 16 months and I haven't felt so good in years. The surgery was much less painful than I expected. Basically my stomach felt sore and not all that bad. My stomach was now tiny and only held 2 ounces. At first I was full after eating a spoonful of jello and after a few weeks I could eat a couple bites of fish and applesauce and I felt like I just ate Thanksgiving dinner. My fat melted away, it really wasn't hard. After eight weeks I pretty well ate an egg with cheese melted on it for breakfast and mainly my lean meat, or fish with a couple bites of salad or vegetables for lunch and supper and it filled me up and I felt wonderful! The more fat I lost the better I felt. I was constipated a lot for the first 16 months but Metamucil took care of that. Once I started eating fruit and some carbs after 16 months my bowel movements were perfect. Now 2 1/2 yrs later I can eat anything in moderation, and if I have a scoop of ice cream or a piece of birthday cake then I will go a little soft but nothing terrible. Sure if I pigged out on sweets I'm sure I would have diarrhea but I'm not going to do that. Regular food does not affect my bowels in a bad way at all.

To sum up my feelings about my gastric bypass, I should have done it years sooner!!! I have never felt better!!! I would do it over in a New York second!!! Gastric Bypass surgery saved my life, my heart now tests in normal range. My blood pressure is perfect. All my blood tests came back textbook perfect!

Don't let others discourage you. Just be sure you have a great surgeon! All will be well!

Cheyenne

What a wonderful post Cheyenne.

The gastric bypass was the best decision I have made with respect to improving my overall health.

Not looking back.

It is now 2+ years. I gained a few pounds over the second half of 2015, but I am working on them now.

Remember it is a tool. You get a timeout for about 1-2 years where you get all the weight off that you thought you would never get off again.

Now, 2+ years out, we have to be responsible, eat sensibly and continue to live a much healthier lifestyle.

What a wonderful post Cheyenne.

The gastric bypass was the best decision I have made with respect to improving my overall health.

Not looking back.

It is now 2+ years. I gained a few pounds over the second half of 2015, but I am working on them now.

Remember it is a tool. You get a timeout for about 1-2 years where you get all the weight off that you thought you would never get off again.

Now, 2+ years out, we have to be responsible, eat sensibly and continue to live a much healthier lifestyle.

Thanks Ralph! I truly enjoyed my bariatric surgery and weight loss journey. My life revolved around my surgery and diet for almost 2 years. I focused in and enjoyed every minute of it. For many years I would diet and lose a few pounds and then gain it back and more. Now I could actually diet and lose weight fairly easily. I went to bed thinking how happy I was and woke up excited to weigh my self every day. After surgery I felt as if I had been reborn. :)

I know you have done really well too Ralph. I think a lot of weight loss success is due to a positive attitude. I still want to lose a few more pounds but I am very happy now and if I never lose another ounce then that will be just fine.

Take Care!

Cheyenne

We just need to keep on doing what we are doing.

I have had a rough six months, gained a little (now 211) and have been fighting an awful flu like cold and cough that wouldn't give up.

On meds, predisone and antibiotics, etc.

Well over the last few days the cough is finally subsiding got 2 nights of sleep for the first time in almost a month.

So perhaps things are getting back to normal.

I am a bit bloated so being off the meds should help and now to drop the excess 11 pounds I put on.

Ralph

We just need to keep on doing what we are doing.

I have had a rough six months, gained a little (now 211) and have been fighting an awful flu like cold and cough that wouldn't give up.

On meds, predisone and antibiotics, etc.

Well over the last few days the cough is finally subsiding got 2 nights of sleep for the first time in almost a month.

So perhaps things are getting back to normal.

I am a bit bloated so being off the meds should help and now to drop the excess 11 pounds I put on.

Ralph

I'm so sorry you have been sick Ralph. Predisone especially can make you hold water. You may not have gained any real weight at all, just temporary water. Once cough, cold, congestion gets a hold.. it can be very difficult to shake sometimes.

Hope you continue to feel better and soon be your back to normal self!

Take Care,

Cheyenne

Back