• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Scared

Hi
I have not been approved yet for surgery but already scared about the pre surgery diet, about the loose skin, how I am going to look.
I know the surgery will help my Diabetes & make me smaller. What about the cons? Sores from the loose skin, being able to be comfortable in clothes. What if insurance won't pay to have the skin removed? What about the places that cannot be fixed?
What if I cannot stick to the diet?
What if it does not help my Diabetes as much as I need it too? What if I look even worse after the surgery?
Does anyone else have these same fears?

Welcome to the group! Almost everyone has these fears. I know I did. I had gastric bypass surgery 5 weeks ago. I had it mainly for my diabetes because I was on 100 units of slow acting insulin plus over 100 units of fast acting insulin a day plus 2 medicines for it. Now I only take 1 unit / or less of fast acting insulin a day. I still have to take my 2 medicines a day but at much lower doses than before. My Dr.s said that I should be off of all my diabetes medicines soon. They did take me off all my medicines at surgery but my blood sugars were all over the place from highs to lows. So I had to go back on some a few weeks after surgery. I was thinking, just great I had the surgery and still have to take medicine! But now I only take 1 pill and sometimes 1 unit of insulin a day. It is starting to balance out. You have to take it step by step and think what the future can hold for you. You can make it. Start thinking positive!

Reactions: BJR
Welcome to the group! Almost everyone has these fears. I know I did. I had gastric bypass surgery 5 weeks ago. I had it mainly for my diabetes because I was on 100 units of slow acting insulin plus over 100 units of fast acting insulin a day plus 2 medicines for it. Now I only take 1 unit / or less of fast acting insulin a day. I still have to take my 2 medicines a day but at much lower doses than before. My Dr.s said that I should be off of all my diabetes medicines soon. They did take me off all my medicines at surgery but my blood sugars were all over the place from highs to lows. So I had to go back on some a few weeks after surgery. I was thinking, just great I had the surgery and still have to take medicine! But now I only take 1 pill and sometimes 1 unit of insulin a day. It is starting to balance out. You have to take it step by step and think what the future can hold for you. You can make it. Start thinking positive!

Thank you. Believe it or not but up until a few weeks ago I was on 285 units of short acting, also taking a long acting & a oral med.
1 minute I am all for the surgery the next freaking out.

Hi
I have not been approved yet for surgery but already scared about the pre surgery diet, about the loose skin, how I am going to look.
I know the surgery will help my Diabetes & make me smaller. What about the cons? Sores from the loose skin, being able to be comfortable in clothes. What if insurance won't pay to have the skin removed? What about the places that cannot be fixed?
What if I cannot stick to the diet?
What if it does not help my Diabetes as much as I need it too? What if I look even worse after the surgery?
Does anyone else have these same fears?
If your loose skin causes rashes and sores then more than likely the insurance would pay. I'm not that knowledgeable about insurance and there procedures and protocols but I read it some where. And also I read that If you're exercising regular you may not have a lot of loose skin. You most definitely won't feel comfortable in the old clothes I imagine. Maybe plan to spend time in various dressing rooms. ;) I think you will do great. As for diabetes I read a post that Said they are no longer on meds for it. And neither am i. I can't seem to keep my sugar from going too low though. I think I got a plan...

Wow, 285 units of short/fast acting insulin. That's a lot! I was on over 200 units at one time when my blood sugars were over 400. Jardiance is what made my blood sugar come down. I still take the Jardiance but at a lower dose. I have taken insulin only 2 X in the last 3 weeks. I am to take metformin too but my stomach does not like it at all so I haven't taken it for a few weeks. My highest blood sugar has been 125 for the last few weeks so I am happy with that. The Dr. said it will get better as I lost weight. I know I was unsure of surgery until my last 6 weeks before surgery. I didn't tell any one I was going to have it done (except for my husband) until 6 weeks before. This is how I was unsure but I made the right decision in the end. You have to take it one day at a time. Look to the future and think what it has holding for you! You can do it!

Back