• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Seeking others with similar situation - 3 weeks post op - Gas, Dumping Syndrome, HHR

Before my surgery, my upper GI found a small hiatal hernia (symptoms had been chest pain, extreme burping, nausea). My surgeon had told be that the hernia could not be causing the chest pain - which resulted in about 9 EKGS (which most were abnormal) and then a chemical stress test. The chemical stress test was normal with real explanation about the abnormal EKS. (Thank goodness) Surgery plan was VSG and possible HHR. Surgeon discovered a large hiatal hernia that was repaired. The chest pain all but resolved immediately, but the burping and (excuse me) breaking wind has been extreme! I am on 2 pantoprozole, Gas X, and Gavison. The Gavison was added recently and seems to be somewhat - somewhat helping. I had moved to purees, 2 tbl scramble egg and some cottage cheese or ricotta. However on Tuesday, I had about 2 tbl of egg and intense dumping syndrome happened 1 hour later. I had nothing other than 1/2 of a protein shake at 7:30 and that egg at 10:00 AM. Called my doc and they had little to no sympathy and told me all my symptoms were normal. I put myself back on liquids today to see if anything changed. It is better, but nausea ugh - back to onedesteron. Any one similar? I had a real moment of a pity party yesterday. I am a pretty self reliant person, and not even being able to walk up stairs without taking a break is making me feel awful. While heavy, I have been able to keep my activity up (Hiking, etc). Any one similar? Or have advice? My doc won't see me for another 8 weeks.

when you feel very symptomatic, IMMEDIATELY go to initial care or the ER. Sounds to me like you need a new doctor. You shouldn't be diagnosing yourself, but your doctor shouldn't be saying there's nothing wrong with you. go to the ER and let them put you through their paces with their machines and new eyes.

Eggs seem to be touchy for many people early on. I didn't have your issues, but have heard of many who did. My husband was nauseous for almost 6 weeks after surgery. You may have to skip the eggs and try again in a few weeks. If you continue having problems, call your doctor again and let them know you're coming in. While it is normal to.have these issues, there is no reason they cannot work to resolve your symptoms. Also, the easiest answer isn't always the correct one, and so they need to check you out.

I put myself back on liquids today to see if anything changed. It is better, but nausea ugh -

Your instincts are good. Just make sure your protein grams and calories are adding up to a nutritional whole. If you can only get liquids down, at least you're getting some nutrition. But as I said before, get to the ER if you're symptomatic, especially if you can measure those symptoms and find them very bad to severe. You just had a major surgical revision and your body is reacting to it. It's best to let medical professionals sort things out.

Back