• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Severe Constipation

Hi Michelle, been there done that. it was the only bad symptom after surgery and it was horrible.

Here's my suggestion. You're supposed to be drinking 8 glasses of water a day and that will move stool through your gut. But I used a double dose of Metamucil, which was really hard for me, but it worked. I'd put a couple tablespoons in a short glass of water, mix it up quick and shoot it down fast. I'd wait a few minutes for that to settle in my stomach, then I'd do it again. Metamucil is a fiber laxative that travels easily and quickly through your stomach and into your gut, and your intestines just grab onto it with their villi like little fingers and just gets into every crack in between. It really worked for me when nothing else would.

I couldn't pass stool for 48 hours after surgery and it was horrible. When it finally came out, it was a huge, long log that I had to break up in the toilet because it couldn't be flushed. If you have been drinking your water, it makes it softer and easier to pass. I used the suppositories too, but they just came right back out.

Sorry to be so graphic, but this is something important to be graphic about. Nowadays, my advice to people is to start the laxative a few days before the surgery and drink as much water as you can get into your digestive system and keep drinking. You can get impacted very easily and once that happens, you need to go to the hospital for help. It's very serious.

And when it all starts moving, it is SUCH a relief. And it won't happen again.

But just keep drinking that water. It's no joke and if it's inconvenient, so be it. You will find function again, and the more seriously you take it, the sooner you'll get past this obstacle.

Please let us know how things work out for you. We really care about you here and most of us have similar symptoms, which can result in organ damage. You can beat it, though, but you have to wage the war, using all the weapons you have.

Back