• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Should I do this?

Kiessa

Hello all, I have a question that may be stupid but here goes. I am wondering if the sleeve would be helpful IF i am not typically an overeater. My problem is that I dont take in ENOUGH calories, and protein overall. Just wondering if I should be looking into an endocrinologist versus weight loss surgery!

I am overweight, I was 325, now 312. I really have no idea why I am overweight at this point or why I can't really lose weight. I am seeing a bariatric doctor. He put me on a 1600 calorie diet, 120 mg of protein a day etc. low carbs but I can't remember the amount. He told me I am overweight because I don't eat enough, and my body is storing fat. I never reach my calorie intake for the day or my protein. I have tried so many ways to lose weight. It has been up and down since I was 10 years old. I have not been able to keep the weight even with exercise. I don't feel like I eat well all the time, but I also don't eat horrible, I know I can add more vegetables, eat fewer sweets, etc, but I still don't feel that adds up to 325 lbs.
I do have hypertension, and prediabetes, bulging disc, lupus, arthritis. I decided on the sleeve because I feel there is no other possible solution at this point.

You say you have Lupus, are you on meds for that? There are many medications that cause weight gain and if I remember correctly I think Lupus might be one of them. I am on a medication that causes weight gain, although I am also an overeater with along with binge eating. I too would follow doctor's orders right now and see how that works out. I would also suggest having your thyroid levels checked.

Yep, get a nuclear thyroid scan. The thyroid is a gland that covers many bodily functions, not just metabolism. I went through Graves Disease and years of hyper- and hypo-thyroidism. My entire body was affected and my right eyeball still protrudes a little from exopthalamus. I had to have my thyroid irradiated and will take thyroid hormone the rest of my life.

That diet your doctor has you on sounds unreasonable. If a portion of protein has just 100 calories, it precludes the array of other nutrients you need. I'd show that doctor the back of my ass and find a better one.

You say you have Lupus, are you on meds for that? There are many medications that cause weight gain and if I remember correctly I think Lupus might be one of them. I am on a medication that causes weight gain, although I am also an overeater with along with binge eating. I too would follow doctor's orders right now and see how that works out. I would also suggest having your thyroid levels checked.
Yes, I take Plaquenil, Diclofenac, and they want me to take steroids but i refuse, so i have a lot of breakthrough pain. So i do take other stuff for pain like tylenol3, goody powder. I forgot to mention I have Asthama, I have had on many rounds of steroids throughout my life. I have been taking them on and off since I was 12.
Now that I am thinking about it, I do binge but it is not very often. I feel when I gain weight, it is just VERY difficult to lose

Back