• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Sick

3momchaos

When you get sick after surgery, what do you eat and drink? I asked my dietitian this pre op because traditionally when I’ve been sick in the past my appetite has been horrible and I just grab what’s easy in the pantry. After surgery that’s not always for the best. She said sugar free Gatorade or sugar free pedialite, soups, things like that. But I’m just wondering if anyone has anything else as their go to comfort foods while they’re ill. It’s also good to have this information on hand because we can’t always avoid getting sick, it’s probably going to happen at some point. And yes I’m suffering with an allergy attack because mold counts have been super high, luckily I know that’s what it is. I’m drinking plenty of water and added a little apple cider vinegar to it. I hate honey, so I don’t add that even though I know it would probably help.

I've been eating a lot of fresh pineapple lately which helps fight inflammation. I wonder if that would help at all. Of course you would probably need to let a fresh pineapple ripen for a few days before it gets good and ripe, but I find it very satisfying. Feel better!

Pablum does it for me. My surgeon included it in my post-op recovery diet. It's gentle enough for a baby's tummy, so it works for a new surgical tummy.

Of course, I made it with heated Magic Milk because it's not so nutritious. But it's truly comforting.

You can make your own kefir using vanilla yogurt and nonfat milk. You can flavor it with the extract of your choice. I have a bunch of sno-cone flavorings I use. I find it very soothing. Sometimes I drink it from a sippy cup as an alternative to a straw. I don't want dirt, dust or a fruit-fly sneaking in.

A lot of people use PBfit powder, as well.

One of my favorite things, to this day, is a little bowl of yogurt with a few ounces of applesauce in the center. I don't sweeten the applesauce but I do add sweetener to the yogurt.

There are so many foods you can liquify if you have a blender or food processer. Another one I love is instant potato flakes combined with Magic Milk, a little (turkey) gravy mix and protein powder, served in a soup bowl atop a tiny puddle of cranberry juice. If you prefer, this can be served in a glass or cup. Adjust the liquidity to your needs.

I can't remember where i saw this, but it was a person trying to follow a liquid diet by liquifying a slice of pizza in a blender. Well, the spirit was right, but the technique was wrong!!!!!

If you can eat it, you can drink it, following doctor's orders, of course.

Diane, that pizza in a blender thing was something they gave me when I was in rehab after my 40 lb edema post 3 surgery, sepsis mess. It was so disgusting. I guess they just put whatever was on the menu for the rest of the patients into a blender and that was my meal. :p

I have yet to be sick, generally I am rarely sick anyway. However, when I am sick I typically only do water as the thought of food makes me feel gross. I dread being sick as I am generally a puker...and not excited for that.

Pop it in a blender and freeze

I now have a cold. I can get my water down having a very hard time getting my proteins in. I guess it will just have to wait until I feel better. The protein drinks thicken up my phlegm. (Yuk!!!)
I’m sorry! I was worried that I had a cold, but I’m almost sure it’s allergies. I think my husband and sons would have it by now if it was a cold. My daughters allergies are always so bad. We’re 2 steps away from allergy shots for her.

I’m sorry! I was worried that I had a cold, but I’m almost sure it’s allergies. I think my husband and sons would have it by now if it was a cold. My daughters allergies are always so bad. We’re 2 steps away from allergy shots for her.

Allergies are a killer for me right now. It's been so hot amd dry that our lawns are already brown/orange and burnt to a crisp which usually doesn't happen until the end of Aug. I have been on daily allergy meds for awhile which I usually don't take and I'm still dying. Look like I am crying all day, stuff and have the voice of a boy going through puberty.

Back