• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

silver spoons

If you're gearing up, I have a fun tip for you.

Go to a thrift store and buy new pieces to use as your own place setting. Get small plates, bowls, cups and silverware--in baby size.

I can't overstate how important this is. We gain weight by filling our plates and bowls and shoveling it into our mouths. We might not even chew it much, if at all. Most eating disorders are founded on body dysmorphia. We can't see our bodies accurately. We also might not be able to comprehend portion size.

So setting up a little "altar" in the kitchen, including YOUR personal place settings, is a way to celebrate and honor your commitment to health, as well as your love of food.

My altar consisted of that place setting, scales & measuring tools, blender and cooking utensiles, as well as a can of protein powder.

Also, this was where I kept my Milkman milk powder, which i used to make "magic milk." Do a search of this forum for more info on that.

I found chewing every bite of food far more difficult than prepping and measuring. And every special step I took to build my post-op life became an affirmation toward success.

I agree! And it also helps to use smaller forks and spoons. They do make bariatric size that you can get from Amazon but if nothing else, use a salad/dessert fork rather than a big fork. It is important to slow down your eating - something I am still working on!

I use my kids toddler plastic bowls and forks. I actually have always preferred to eat with kid utensils verse adult ones even before surgery. Normal spons are just to big and I didnt like liquids falling off all over my face.

I also use 8" paper plates. These are still bigger than I need but don't find it an issue. I tend to eat my food one by one thus typically don't like my food to touch.

Back