• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Six months after surgery

Jo Ann

It has been six months since I had my gastric bypass. I feel so much better. Never used anything like this. Just curious about others out there. I have not had any insulin since 2 days after surgery and been off my Janumet since 2 months after the surgery.

It sounds like everything has worked well for you. Congratulations on the weight loss, and kicking diabetes' butt!

Hey there! I am doing great, thanks for asking! So far the whole process still seems surreal. I am down about 28 lbs in 6 weeks. My weight is not coming off as fast as I would have thought, but the inches are (I never realized how much until my pants fell down at the grocery, lol...I caught them before they dropped below the hips). So far, I can eat anything, but I have not pushed it to see if I dump; plus, I am still on soft foods, so no raw fruits or veggies yet. I don't get that full restrictive feeling that others do, so I have to measure and weigh everything I eat.
How have you been? I went back to work last week, so I haven't been online as much to check on everyone.

Hi, all. I am new to this support group and I am glad I found you. I had surgery on Jan 24th. I have lost a total of 62 pounds since April 2012. I had to do a six month program before surgery. It is the best thing I have ever done and I feel so much better. I was an insulin dependant type 2 diabetic and have not had any insulin for 3 months. I have only lost 26 pounds since surgery so I wondering if that is about the norm.

I had my bypass on Feb 14th... lost a total of 25 lbs in the initial couple of weeks, then slowed to maybe 1 lb since... I've been told it's normal and will pick back up. Here's to hoping! :p

I have had my surgery six mos ago and have lost a considerable amount of weight(89 lbs), and still losing! :eek: But I am afraid I am stretching my pouch! I have not vomited and no dumping but I am eating more than I thought I would be able to eat at this point. I am eating every 2-3 hours and trying to keep it to protein meals but have had bread. :( I am also eating when I do not "feel" hungry. Is there any advice anyone can give me or how do I judge what is "normal" and what is detrimental to long term weight maintenance?

Leah - WOW! How amazing what you have accomplished and so close to your goal! Congrats! Are you working with a bariatric nutritionist? If not, I'd highly recommend it. They can help you identify specific menu goals and what you should and should not be eating... sounds like some of it is emotional or boredom snacking. Something that you should really try to work on if you want long term success even after reaching your goal. But don't beat yourself up too much over "indulging" every once in a while... it's actually healthier to enjoy some of the things you like occassionally in moderation as opposed to completely restricting yourself all together.

Back