• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Sleep

I had a very similar issue- only it started fairly soon after surgery, like 1-2 months out. I have had this happen as well through the years when I am actively losing weight or in “calorie deficit “. I am now 2.5 years out from surgery with a stable weight and the problem faded for me around the one year mark, although still can occur in spates. What has worked for me:
- get physically tired and exercise every day
- I have a snack with carbs shortly before bed or even have backed dinner time closer to bed (I know this is not recommended for other reasons, but food in my stomach seems to help)
- I take a small dose of amitryptaline 10 mg (prescribed)
- usual things like bedtime hygiene, green noise in the bedroom to block out noise, shower before bed/ bedtime routine
I don’t know of a cause and have not met anyone else who had this issue when I asked around. I was always a big night time eater/ binger before surgery and have almost a narcotic like effect from binging, and I have wondered if my neurological system just got to expect that over the years. So now that I don’t do that, my brain still misses it? Who knows- but hope it helps to know you are not the only one!

That's me; I am 59 years old, though. My life before my surgery was difficult, as I suffered from sleep apnea, which worsened over time. I asked the doctor for pills, but he recommended surgery, and that's how it all started. Thankfully, my sleep apnea is gone now, but I can only sleep for 5 or 6 hours. It's not as disruptive as before, as I can sleep for 4 hours and another two later. However, I still feel like something is not quite right, or maybe I'm just getting old.

Back