• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Sleeping on your back

Hopinforthebest

Eleven days post op. Fell asleep on my back, but woke up on my stomach. So I'm feeling swollen and achy. Are we allowed to sleep on our stomach? Got scared when I awoke this morning...

Eleven days post op. Fell asleep on my back, but woke up on my stomach. So I'm feeling swollen and achy. Are we allowed to sleep on our stomach? Got scared when I awoke this morning...
I have always been a side sleeper. Since my surgery on the 24th, I have been pretty good about my sleep, but the other day I woke up on my back and was so very sore in my stomach area. I attribute the horrible discomfort to tossing and turning during the night as per my usual sleep pattern.........take it easy if you suffer that again. Mine subsided by the next day.

I slept on my back for about a week and then the next week I went to my side, slowly making my way to my stomach, I slept on my stomach before I got super heavy then had to sleep on my side, I am now able to sleep on my stomach again and loving it

I started sleeping on my stomach on post op day 5.... it was little uncomfortable but I tried not to move around too much and I didn't hurt anything... if it hurts don't do it. I can't sleep on my back or side

I have read in many places is the best sleep position for a myriad of reasons is on your back.

I tend to sleep on my side and on my back and I will alternate when I awaken during the night.

I have also read that sleeping on your stomach is not so good. I forget why. But, you can do some research on this as well.

Am post op day 5, was able to sleep one night in my bed, but then couldnt get up by my self. Been in the recliner the other nights. Was able to take a nap in bed today, was able to turn and lay on each side, was thrilled when was able to get up independently. Gonna try the bed tonight.

I don't know how you try to get out of bed.

Perhaps if you roll gently and lower your legs to the floor then get up might be easier than trying to sit up directly.

Rolling out of bed is recommended for many folks having back pain and/or arthritis issues.

Try it.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Back