• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Sleeve or bipass

It is usually the two of you together. Unless, as Suthy mentioned, there are health concerns. My husband wanted the bypass, but due to an enlarged liver and where he carries his weight, the surgeon decided the sleeve would be a much safer option. He did tell him he could have a revision at a later date if he wanted to.

Last edited:
My surgeon and I talked about all the possible surgeries. My medical issues were his major motivator. For the best results of eliminating most of my medications - he said the doudenal switch would be best for medical issues. However - I didn't weigh enough for that option - go me for once I was too thin :rolleyes::p:cool:. We talked about the sleeve and how he didn't think that would be best for me in the long run - more likely to have to go back on some of my medications later on. Then we talked about bypass and he said considering everything - he thought that was my best option. I'll be 3 years post-op on 01/22/2023. I now weigh 111 - surgery weight was 220. I'm still trying to gain a few more pounds - JUST as difficult as trying to lose weight - go figure!

In my experience, it's a decision that I had to make. I am very blessed to have selected sleeve. This is due to me at thar time being extremely anemic. My doctor didn't seem to care or notice. After researching and conversations with different medical professionals I made the right choice. Now, seven years later and 70 pounds lighter the bypass is my best choice for a higher quality of life.

Your surgeon will know what’s the best course for you. I couldn’t get the sleeve bc it causes acid reflux and that was one of my problems so I got gastric bypass. The sleeve is cheaper tho ❤️

Back