• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Slow cooker French Onion Soup

4 LG onions ( I use 2 sweet and 2 yellow), sliced
3 T Butter
1 T Minced Garlic
1/2 C Dry Red Wine
5 C Beef Broth ( I use water and Better Than Bouillion)
1t Salt
3 sprigs fresh Thyme (or about 1/2 t of dried thyme)
1 Bay Leaf
French Bread, sliced (or you can use garlic bread slices)
Shredded Cheese (I used Swiss and Gruyere)

Cook butter & onions on low at least 6hrs. (I put them on when I go to bed and they're caramelized in the morning.) You can also just caramelized them in a skillet, but it takes like 45 minutes, so that's a no from me.
Add beef broth, wine, garlic, thyme and bay leaf. Leave on low for 6-10 hours.
Put sliced bread and cheese under broiler for about 5 minutes, right before you're ready to eat. Place a slice of cheesy bread on top of your bowl of soup.

4 LG onions ( I use 2 sweet and 2 yellow), sliced
3 T Butter
1 T Minced Garlic
1/2 C Dry Red Wine
5 C Beef Broth ( I use water and Better Than Bouillion)
1t Salt
3 sprigs fresh Thyme (or about 1/2 t of dried thyme)
1 Bay Leaf
French Bread, sliced (or you can use garlic bread slices)
Shredded Cheese (I used Swiss and Gruyere)

Cook butter & onions on low at least 6hrs. (I put them on when I go to bed and they're caramelized in the morning.) You can also just caramelized them in a skillet, but it takes like 45 minutes, so that's a no from me.
Add beef broth, wine, garlic, thyme and bay leaf. Leave on low for 6-10 hours.
Put sliced bread and cheese under broiler for about 5 minutes, right before you're ready to eat. Place a slice of cheesy bread on top of your bowl of soup.
I will definitely be trying this recipe! Thank you!

I might have to try this. Since getting covid 2 years ago many types of onions just nauseate me in both smell and taste. Which is disappointing that I loved all onions before and sautéed mushrooms and onions with a steak and onion soup were once of my favs. Red, White and the bottom half of green onions are the worst. Scallions, Vidalia sweet onions seem to be the most mild and palatable. I have yet to try Leeks. Think I'm going to try this recipe with some big scallions I found.

Back