• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

smoking

Annaellsbury731

I am a smoker. I see my surgeon on the 19th too set a surgery date. My question... my last cigarette was 10 days ago. I've heard that they can test your blood or pee to determine if you have been smoking is this true. And if it is how long does it take to get out of your system? I've tried so hard to do this.

Hi Annaellsbury731, I don't know how long it takes to get out of your system but my Doctor told me I could not smoke for 3 months before the surgery. He kept telling me over and over again how important it was to not smoke before surgery. I am having surgery on June 24. I am a former smoker and believe me everyday I still want one but I'm fighting the urge because I want to lose weight so badly. I quit in January. Please if you can quit now do it. It's so dangerous to smoke right before or even after surgery. Best of luck to you.

I am a smoker. I see my surgeon on the 19th too set a surgery date. My question... my last cigarette was 10 days ago. I've heard that they can test your blood or pee to determine if you have been smoking is this true. And if it is how long does it take to get out of your system? I've tried so hard to do this.

Yes, they can test you for nicotine. It's a drug and can easily be tested for. I don't know how long it takes to get out of your system.

Cheyenne

More importantly Don't lie to the dr. One reason they want you to quit is because of bleeding factors during surgery. You want your dr to be repaired for all issues in surgery And if you don't think you can stop smoking for the long term you need to really think about your long term ability to change your eating habits as well.

Back