• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Snacks

Bill sperry

You probably know this already but I’m posting it anyway

The only thing I would be cautious about is that 100 calories of one food does not always equal the same calories in another food, especially when you are talking about refined and processed foods (rice cakes, cheerios, etc.). Your body will respond very differently to 100 calories of rice cakes as opposed to a 100 calorie cheese stick or 100 calories of cheerios vs 100 calories of yogurt.

Yes, to burn fat we do have to burn more calories overall than we consume and store as fat, but that doesn't equate to the number of calories we think we are eating. It's much more complex than calories in/calories out. Again, I know calorie counting works for a lot of people, but what that 100 calories is made from can matter. It's important to consider how our bodies react to the food, not just the calories.

I'd choose the plants, the yogurt, eggs (minus the toast), and maybe the cheeses on this list and keep away from the rest. But, that's just me. I'm not recommending it to anyone else. I just think we need to be very wary of anything that implies that "a calorie is a calorie" and eating processed food of any kind is okay.

This is may sound like crazy talk to some, but the food corporations want us to believe calorie in/calorie out so that we continue to buy processed foods and foods with lots of added sugar. They are addictive and make us eat more. Even the processed "diet" foods drive people to eat more calories, not less. They put out their corporate sponsored studies out that imply that just because something is 100 calories, even though it's mostly carbs, corn syrup or sugar, that's it's just fine, because a calorie is a calorie. It's why I recommend finding research that is not corporately sponsored. Remember when the tobacco companies would tout the reports that cigarettes were safe and even healthy? Why are tobacco reports suspect but not massive food corporations who do exactly the same thing?

Sorry for the rant, but when I see cheerios compared to celery and hummus, it makes me cringe.

Hey everyone!

I hope you're all doing well. I wanted to reach out to the admins here about the possibility of purchasing some links for my website. I'm willing to pay for them, of course.

Here are a few examples of my links:

Login
Comedy

If anyone from the admin team is interested in discussing this further, please feel free to shoot me a message in the DMs. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Thanks a bunch!

Back