• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

So tired

willow60

Hi, I’m 6 days post op, roux-en y, and am wondering if/when I’ll regain some energy. Right now I‘m tired all the time and just don’t care if things round my home get done or not. Think I’m doing well with fluids, but just can’t drink another protein shake bc they’re just too sweet. Hoping to feel better, more like myself soon.

You'll get your energy back. Did you have general or local anesthesia? Both types will affect your energy level. There may be other factors, as well, but it's all temporary. Soon you'll feel your energy come back, and THEN some. The more weight you drop from Day One, the more energy will return when it's not burdened by holding up excess weight, and your muscles can find tone again. No one can tell you exactly when you'll feel peppier, but it will happen and eventually, you won't even notice you had surgery.

I hope you've found another source for protein calories. You need them to maintain healing.

In the meantime, give yourself a break. If you live with others, they should want to help maintain the house and cooking and laundry. I hope you can get the help you deserve. If not, just relax. The mess will still be there when you're strong enough to get back to cleaning.

You'll get your energy back. Did you have general or local anesthesia? Both types will affect your energy level. There may be other factors, as well, but it's all temporary. Soon you'll feel your energy come back, and THEN some. The more weight you drop from Day One, the more energy will return when it's not burdened by holding up excess weight, and your muscles can find tone again. No one can tell you exactly when you'll feel peppier, but it will happen and eventually, you won't even notice you had surgery.

I hope you've found another source for protein calories. You need them to maintain healing.

In the meantime, give yourself a break. If you live with others, they should want to help maintain the house and cooking and laundry. I hope you can get the help you deserve. If not, just relax. The mess will still be there when you're strong enough to get back to cleaning.
Thank you for your kind reply. My husband is doing his best to help around the house and I make myself Do a little something each day (within guidelines). I’ll drink the extra shake(s) tomorrow if I’m unable to consume enough protein with the Stage 2 diet. In the meantime, I’ll keep doing a little every day and stop beating myself up for the stuff that isn’t done. Thanks again.

Hi, I’m 6 days post op, roux-en y, and am wondering if/when I’ll regain some energy. Right now I‘m tired all the time and just don’t care if things round my home get done or not. Think I’m doing well with fluids, but just can’t drink another protein shake bc they’re just too sweet. Hoping to feel better, more like myself soon.

I am 4 weeks out and feel great. I felt the same way. No energy. Take this time to rest. You will start to feel better every day. I was so happy when I went for my one month check up yesterday and she told me I didn’t have to drink shakes anymore. Thank god. Never thought I’d say never want to drink another sweet drink Again. All worth it. Down 28 lbs in one month.

Hi Willow- I'm in the same boat. 6 days post RNY. Soooo tired. Abdomen still so tender. I've got bruising across my entire abdomen. Last night when I showered, just having my arms above my head to wash my hair made me so weak, almost nauseous/faint feeling. I'm drinking my 1 protein shake but can't stand the taste of it now. I'm doing good with fluids too- at least 64 oz/day. I have my virtual visit with PA today. Gonna talk about all this. Tomorrow I can start full liquids but NOTHING sounds good. 4/17 is my first day back to work and as of now I don't see how I'll be able to do it. It's a lot of up/down, moving, moving. I can't imagine it right now, both pain-wise and energy-wise. I did laundry yesterday because I felt I SHOULD be doing something. But I'm paying for it today being more sore than yesterday. My hubby has been so good to me. He's taking care of most everything, but I feel bad and like I should be ABLE to do more. Anyway, sorry for the rant. I wish you a speedy recovery and am here to chat anytime you like! ;)

You can rant if you need to ♥️ My husband has been doing ok as far as help wise. I feel the same as you. I think I should be doing something around here - something besides holding the sofa down. I’m hoping to get some laundry done myself and maybe my little dog shampooed, but well we.

I’m doing ok with the pain, I’m just so tired and uninterested in doing anything. Right now I’m listening to oldies music and hoping it will spark a bit of that energy I had as a teenager into me, at least for a little while. Here’s to total success for both of us!

Hi Willow- Tomorrow I can start full liquids but NOTHING sounds good.

My dietary restrictions were much different than what people report these days. I went to Trader Joe's and got a can of their vanilla protein powder and made "shakes" by putting ice in the blender along with the water and powder. I also added other things when I was allowed to, meaning a banana or blueberries pulverized into the shake.

I've added unsweetened cocoa powder and bought flavor extracts--rum, vanilla, pina colada, all in the baking aisle--and added them with or without soft fruits that can be liquefied.

Ask your nutritionist or dietician if this would be okay for you. But my doctor essentially said I could have anything if it could be made liquid, including baby food from a jar (gross!), frozen or fresh fruit, mashed potato flakes in Magic Milk (recipe can be found here using Search feature). Eventually I even pulverized solid food, like a Morningstar Farms sausage pattie, thinned with bouillon.

Let me just underscore the Magic Milk comment. It's made with nonfat milk (a quart or half-gallon), blended with a packet of Milkman instant milk powder. You can use regular nonfat milk powder but as I recall, the nutritional numbers are higher with Milkman. And it was recommended by my nutritionist.

I used Magic Milk to make creamed soups. I used it instead of water when I made thinned Cream of Wheat cereal. I used it for all my smoothies. I still use it when I make a quiche and in anything I bake that calls for milk.

It can be hard to get your full nutritional needs met without adding something like this. But using Magic Milk literally doubles the protein in any milk you ccok or bake with, or drink. Chill it well if you plan to drink it, but you can add cocoa powder and sweetener to make it taste good, or, blended with ice in a blender, to make a chocolate milkshake.

I wasn't just creative. I was desperate. I don't know how I would have made it through the liquid phase without Magic Milk.

p.s.
I wanted to say I think it's unimportant to count calories or even to worry about them. After surgery your metabolism will go crazy looking for enough food to operate at its peak. The weight should melt off if you follow post-op guidelines. Counting calories is for DIETERS. You're not dieting. You're at the beginning of your journey to a PERMANENT healthy weight and will never have to diet again. The less you worry about calories, the better your journey will be, both physically and MENTALLY. That's important.

Back