• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Some advice needed

Hi Radish, I had the sleeve so I don't know how much difference there is pain wise but I also had hernia repair and a lapband removal at the same time. I am trying to think back as to when I stopped taking tylenol and I know it was less than a week - maybe 5 days? That doesn't mean I was totally pain free but felt good enough to stop taking tylenol.

This is a good opportunity to say that once you have bariatric surgery you can never ever use ibuprofen again. It is contraindicated for the re-plumbing and metabolism that you develop as a result of bariatric surgery. It is a very very bad thing for your body. So make sure if you have pain, go for the gold and get opiates. If it's minor pain and you're just weaning off a big pain in chest use acetaminophen. I don't find acetaminophen to be very helpful so I take aspirin. I was taking ibuprofen until we realized that it was a no no. Whatever it is you are experiencing, ask us what we have experienced and then ask your surgeon or nutritionist or regular doctor. That combination of input will give you the best answer for you.

It's going to be different for everyone. I was about 90% pain free after a week. I've read other people say they are dealing with pain 2 or 3 weeks out and others who feel pretty normal after about 4 or 5 days. A couple of things that seem to be important are: 1. protein intake - protein is vital for tissue/organ repair in the body, and 2. walking. Try to use the least amount of pain medications possible and try to stick with non-narcotics and of course you need to avoid NSAIDs.

Stay in touch with your bariatric medical team and reach out to them for help with pain management and advice.

I didn’t have much pain for the first couple days because my surgeon did numbing shots around each incision. I did have some pain from day 5-14, but it was gradually better every day. I still have occasional pain and discomfort, but I’m only about 6 weeks out. The abdominal binder helped with my pain a lot though.

Back