• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Spam

Kevin

Staff member
Hey everybody, I haven't had much time lately to get back to the forums and clean up the spam and I noticed there's been a lot posted since I was gone. This spam is from automated software, so it's not actually people coming here to post it. I did a few things today that should help prevent new spam from being posted. But anytime you members see something that looks not right, just hit the Report button at the bottom of the post. I know a few of you have already been doing that, so thanks. I have someone that will be able to check in every few days and delete any new spam posts. There is a slight problem with the database being able to delete some of the spam that has already been posted in the past, but I'm trying to find a way to hide those old posts somehow if I can't delete them.

This is always going to be a Free Bariatric Forum thanks to Bariatric Food Source paying for the expenses to run the site. But that also means we can't afford any programmers or anything like that to make upgrades to the site. So, just keep hitting that Report button when you see spam. It'll go into a que that we can then look at and delete it if we think it is spam. Thanks!!!!!!

I have I have a suggestion that will make the whole spam thing less painful. Even if you put the member on ignore, the invisible posts will increase the page numbers until you're looking at 75 Pages responding to one question. So if you look at a post and you see how many replies it's gotten, try this: start a new post with a different subject but copy and paste the original question into the body of your post and then reply. This will start a new, clean thread and the original topic will still be something we can all discuss. If I see a post that has 20 pages of responses oh, I'm just not going to read it.

I have I have a suggestion that will make the whole spam thing less painful. Even if you put the member on ignore, the invisible posts will increase the page numbers until you're looking at 75 Pages responding to one question. So if you look at a post and you see how many replies it's gotten, try this: start a new post with a different subject but copy and paste the original question into the body of your post and then reply. This will start a new, clean thread and the original topic will still be something we can all discuss. If I see a post that has 20 pages of responses oh, I'm just not going to read it.
Agreed Diane - great idea! Combing through pages of spam looking for 1 or 2 legitimate posts gets old quick. I hope not too many people who needed help were ignored. :(

I’m on a smartphone so that didn’t work. Thanks for the suggestion though! ‍✌️
It works on my smartphone but I have to actually touch the Avatar of the person I want to block. Then a mini profile pops up with the word ignore down along the bottom.

Alternatively, go to his profile and you should be able to ignore him from there. That's what all of us are doing because there have been hundreds and hundreds of incidence of spam. We have reported it to the site administrator and it hasn't been taken down, but we were all advised to use the ignore feature and it works really well.

Back