• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

speaking of fat rolls...

There's been a lot of discussion here about the rolls of fat or flabby skin that are left behind after weight loss surgery and successful weight loss.

My fat rolls are all over my torso and I am sick and tired of them. I think I mentioned the belly fat roll that covers three horizontal surgical scars. My doctor has me on a standing prescription of clotrimazole to deal with the yeast that grows in that perfectly lovely environment. Of course, I don't pay for it. It comes along with my insurance coverage. But I am not anywhere near faithful in applying it and I feel rebellious about the fact that I have to.

If I had been approved for skin removal surgery when I first started complaining about this particularly large roll, it would have been less expensive than it cost during all the years I've been using the cream.

So, after I finish cleaning my house and divesting myself of useless items, I am going to lobbying hard until I convince my doctor that I need this surgery.

I'm an old hippie who wears Levi's all the time and I have a hard time buttoning them shut because of my belly. I have narrow hips and well-proportioned thighs and calves, but then there's this whale sized blob of useless abdominal tissue that requires me to buy a larger size or wear stretch pants. Thank God for elastic.

I know my problems are not as important as the COVID epidemic, but I think I have the right, at 70 years old, to have just one thing off my mind. I've got 20 or 30 years to live, knock wood, and I deserve to live them without shame.

I swear, if I could have this type of surgery and liposuction, I wouldn't need my therapist. I've adjusted to life with past trauma and I don't do anything to hurt others or to allow others to hurt me. I don't eat crazy and I don't gain wait. I'm not looking for perfection because I'm simply not a pretty woman. I'm a mountain woman.

Yes, I am vain. But I'm not conceited. I'm not looking to win a beauty pageant. I just want to be able to bend over without being afraid of busting my pants at the waist.

So I'm going for it. Wish me luck.

I would love to hear from anyone here who has managed to get skin removal surgery like the type I am seeking.

Question for you all, I thought the roll was a real roll of fat, but maybe it is loose skin. I really don't have any observable loose skin at this point.
How do I know? I think it is FAT.
Sharon, when you lose a lot of weight, your skin deflates like a limp balloon. Then it just hangs there.

It doesn't respond much to exercise because it's not muscle. It's loose, stretched-out skin, thick and useless, covering the muscle layer and organs. I know other members, especially older ones, have lost elasticity as well, so it just hangs there.

I'm genetically blessed with supple skin, but at 70, it's less elastic and where the fat went away, it's barely alive. Skin is the body's largest organ and like any organ, it wears down and stops working like it used to.

========== I crashed here and lost a bunch of my post. So here are some pix I took to illustrate the wrinkled skin on my face. Notice my hyperthyroid bugeye and eyelid hoods.

Well, I made an appointment for the consult and referral for a panniculectomy--September 21.

My doctor is in the Franscisan network. The bariatric clinic is in Federal Way (gag me with an exhaust pipe). But I don't need a bariatric doctor. I need an awesome surgeon.

Back