• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

spooky

how do you handle Halloween?

It can't be predicted. I've had years with no knocks at all, and others where I ran out of candy in the first hour after dark.

For the last few years I've put out a sign that reads "NO CANDY." I simply can't take the risk of having such nasty junk food in my house. Candy really screws up my digestive system (if you know what I mean) and if it's around, I WILL eat it til it's gone.

My exception is candy apples. You can buy these big lollipops that are flavored like tart green apples, then dipped in caramel. I got addicted to these and bought them online all year long for a while.

But I wouldn't be upset at all if Halloween just went away. The people who profit from Halloween let loose a sea of unrecyclable plastic on the earth, and contribute to the digestive and dental distress of tiny children. It's a horrible holiday, and considering it was related (at times) to the Christian devil model, I'm shocked it hasn't been widely banned.

I also hate Fourth of July. Air pollution and so many detrimental results from fireworks, accidents, forest and brush fires, noise, scaring housepets, no sleep... please. this isn't a celebration of our freedom from British repression and rule. It's an outlet for thugs.

I have gone around collecting used pumpkins for freezing and using later for main dishes and pies, though I don't like pumpkin, period. And most of them honestly, end up in the trash.

No controversy, just candy.

Back