• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

St Augustine

Hello from North Port, FL

Hi
I'm beginning this journey. I've been to Bradon and Ft. Myers to seminiars and I'm trying to decide which Dr. to use. Where did you have your surgery done. I have to have mine done at a "Center for Excellence" I'd appreciate your input. Is there any support groups in your area or in Sarasota that you know of?
Andrea

Hi andrea
I had my surgery done in Colorado ten years ago. I am at a 150. Pound weight loss. I am maintaining the weight loss nicely. I do go to a support group in Tampa at Tampa General Hospital once in a while. Carla

HI AndreaK
I tried to respond to you. Im from Bradenton. I moved there from Colorado where I had my surgery 10 years ago. I am maintaining a 150 pound weight loss. I used Dr Richard Tillquist so that wont help you decided what dr to use down here in Florida. I have heard that Dr. Murr at Tampa General is a great Doctor to go to. That is a Center of Excellance though. I dont go to any support groups in Sarasota. they wont let me in cause I didnt go to a Dr down here. I do try to go to the one in Tampa or I go to one In Lake City when I can. I have made some great friends up there. so when I go to Lake City I stay with my friend that lives there cause it is a 3 hr drive for me. I started out where your r now and I am at 139 right now. I am haveing a water retention problem right now cause of the heat. but when I dont I am down to 130. Carla You can call me 303 726 1802 and ask me any questions you might have.

Hello everyone! I live in the Orlando area and am awaiting surgery, hoping to have it done this summer some time.

thanks for all the great information and encouragement. It would be nice to be able to go to Sarasota and have it done but they aren't a Center of Excellance yet. The nurse told me they are working on it. I'm hoping to get this done before too long..I will look into the Dr. at Tampa General. I really like the Dr. in FT Myers but he has to go to Hollywood, Fl for Medicare surgery in a Center of Excellance. My Medicare starts on May 1 so I'm going to call Medicare in the morning and see what they will require for me. Then I will be ready for my first appt in May...Did you have the problem with Gas I see them talking about? Is that a problem just after the surgery or forever?

HI AndreaK
I tried to respond to you. Im from Bradenton. I moved there from Colorado where I had my surgery 10 years ago. I am maintaining a 150 pound weight loss. I used Dr Richard Tillquist so that wont help you decided what dr to use down here in Florida. I have heard that Dr. Murr at Tampa General is a great Doctor to go to. That is a Center of Excellance though. I dont go to any support groups in Sarasota. they wont let me in cause I didnt go to a Dr down here. I do try to go to the one in Tampa or I go to one In Lake City when I can. I have made some great friends up there. so when I go to Lake City I stay with my friend that lives there cause it is a 3 hr drive for me. I started out where your r now and I am at 139 right now. I am haveing a water retention problem right now cause of the heat. but when I dont I am down to 130. Carla You can call me 303 726 1802 and ask me any questions you might have.

Gold Center of Excellence in Celebration, FL

I know that the Florida Hospital - Celebration is a Gold Center of Excellence. Dr. Kim, the surgeon there, does trainings around the world on laproscopic RNY using robotics. He has a very good reputation and they have lots of support pre- and post-surgery. It's slightly west of Disney in the Celebration area. Below is a link if you'd like to check out their services.

http://www.celebrationhealth.com/services/healthy-weight/bariatric-surgery

Today I have been looking at the Tampa General website and it has been the most informative of all that I have looked at. I probably will get to their initial meeting in June. I'm going on a cruise in the middle of May and my daughter is getting married on
June 2nd so May is going to disappear like lightening. Celebration is a little too far for me.

You are very encouraging for me..I'm so excited to think I would weigh 150 again. it's been many years since I saw that number. But most of all I would like to get my diabeties under control. I don't want to be taking a lot of medicine in the future. I want to be more active.. Because of my ancestors I carry at lot of my weight in my arms and legs. It's hard for me to go to somewhere like Busch Gardens for the day, I have knee and back pain in just a couple of hours there. I'm looking forward to being a lot more active.
thanks again for your reply..
andrea

I know that the Florida Hospital - Celebration is a Gold Center of Excellence. Dr. Kim, the surgeon there, does trainings around the world on laproscopic RNY using robotics. He has a very good reputation and they have lots of support pre- and post-surgery. It's slightly west of Disney in the Celebration area. Below is a link if you'd like to check out their services.

http://www.celebrationhealth.com/services/healthy-weight/bariatric-surgery

AndreaK:

Good luck to you as you start the journey. I knew Celebration was a little far but thought I'd throw it out there as a possible option. I totally get what you're saying about the medications and about not enjoying activities like you use to. Will look forward to seeing your posts on here.

Becky

I had my surgery at the Brandon Regional Hospital in Brandon, Everything was excellent there! I love my surgeon, I did a lot of research before I decided on a surgeon and a hospital. Both the Hospital and the Surgeon belong to The Centers of Excellence

My husband and I are originally from Florida and have been to St Augustine before-pretty place. Doesn't Flagier Hospital there have support groups?

Carol

things have changed for me since the last time we posted each other. I thought about the surgery for another year and decided to have it done at Tampa General with Dr. Murr. They seem to have the best program and a new bariatric center. My surgery is Nov 6th, coming up real soon. Maybe we can get together and go to the support group at TGH in the future.

I know I'm late to the party, but I'm from St. A and having my surgery performed by Dr. Marema at Flagler. So far, it's been an awesome process with lots of support and good information. Flagler's a great hospital (a Center of Excellence) and I'm expecting great things.

Back