• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

STALLS! - DON'T PANIC!

WazzuCoug

The following is some thoughts and opinions I've developed after spending hours reading various weight loss surgery, nutrition, and medical research papers. I'm in no way saying you should do something different from what your doctor/nutritionist or anyone else recommends to you. It's just my semi-educated opinion based my own research and conversations.

Our bodies are not designed for weight loss, but they are designed to protect our existing weight. Our biology actively fights losing weight. Losing weight isn't natural, and that is why it is so hard sometimes, even with weight loss surgery. You have to remember that for 99% of humanoid history, food was scarce, there were no grocery stores, processed foods and such. Our genetics protect our weight from starvation. It's not something we can change on a whim.

Almost all of us will stall for days, weeks or even months. Weight loss is not linear. Even though we get a great boost with surgery and the positive effect it has on hormonal signals and our microbiome, a consistent state of caloric deficit will signal your brain that you may be starving. It will slow your metabolism down.

We all have to accept these stalls will probably happen (there are some lucky genetic unicorns out there - you know who you are), and yes, the stalls are frustrating, but it's a natural adjustment. As long as you are making good food and nutrient choices, the fat will burn eventually until you reach your nadir. After that, you'll probably gain a bit back, which is also natural. However, if you continue to make good food choices, it will be much easier to maintain that weight because your body has a new set point. In this respect, allowing your body to lose weight relatively slowly can be beneficial to allow the downward adjustments of your defendable weight happen without long stalls that can happen if you go too fast.

What you probably don't want to do during a stall is lower your calorie intake below recommended amounts (see further down about a study and the related calorie intake) as this can send a starvation alert to your brain. This alert is the same thing that made most of us experience previous diet failures. When we lose fat, the hormone leptin decreases in our system. This triggers your brain to do two things: 1. Slow your metabolism down, and 2. Increase your hunger. The greater the fat loss the less leptin. The less leptin, the hungrier we get, and not for good food, we get hungrier or crappy calorie dense food. It is one of the main reasons why it is so hard to lose weight and keep is off after we have the disease of obesity.

The good news is, we get a bit of a reprieve from this after surgery, as the surgery seems to reset our hormonal signals to that of a thinner person and your body doesn't react as fiercely to protect that higher weight. After surgery, you can lose weight and don't have the strong leptin reaction that you would have prior to surgery.

Every person's body is different of course, so there is no one way to predict each person's experience, which is why we should refrain from comparing our individual path to others, although I know that can be easier said than done too. People often believe the most recent thing they tried to break a stall is what worked, but that is a familiarity/confirmation bias that is probably misleading. Most likely, your body just decided it was time, regardless of what you were doing.

Continue making good food and nutrient choices, move frequently or exercise, maintain a calorie deficit and you will succeed. Resistance training has been shown to be more effective at keeping your metabolism humming along than cardio, but the fact of the matter is exercise does very little to speed up weight loss. It does a hell of a lot to make you healthier in several ways, but food choices and diet are way more important that trying to burn away fat through exercise. That doesn't mean you should be a couch potato, there and many, many benefits to exercise and after you reach your weight loss goal, exercise has been shown to be effective in maintaining weight loss for the long term, just not as great in getting there.

As far as calories go: A recent study comparing successful WLS patients with less successful WLS patients found the more successful group was eating <830 calories during month 1, by month 6 they were up to <1100, and by month 12 they were up to <1500 calories. There was a natural progression of caloric intake, but the deficit was maintained throughout. They weren't trying to restrict themselves at month 6 or 12 like it was month 1. They followed an natural progression that fueled their body and continued fat loss. This is what I believe we should be striving for.

I'm not a doctor, I'm not a nutritional expert, and you have absolutely no reason to believe I know what I'm talking about, BUT I do spend hours of time each week reading research studies. I dive deep into the science behind how weight loss surgery works, the common traits of long term success, and things are going very well for me in my journey. Again, this is just my opinion based on reading scholarly research papers and my own experience so far. Hell, I may change my mind in a few months, but I'm fairly confident that what I'm saying is pretty solid.

With that said, no matter how you tackle this journey, and whether or not you agree with anything I've written, the bottom line is:

We deserve this! We deserve to succeed and lead wonderful, high quality lives filled with incredible experiences.

I wish everyone the best possible success!

Last edited:
Of course, I was here when you arrived and I have followed your evolution. I also subscribed to your YouTube channel. I might have actually been the first person who did that but I'm not sure. I would like to say one thing to you based on your most recent youTube story. I do not think you should tell stories about other people. I do not want you ever to tell my story to your YouTube subscribers. I'm here because I feel part of a group of caring, protective people I can trust. I have never told my story to my family and I don't want them to find out. If my story is mentioned by somebody, even without a name my siblings might read it and put two and two together

I am a very private person and I also came from a very Dysfunctional Family. If I had ever bothered to tell them how I managed to lose 115 lb, they would have just mocked me and they would have dismissed me as taking the easy way out and not realized how difficult it is to go through the surgical process and then change your life for the rest of your life. I don't even stay in touch with them except two younger sisters who I have recently had phone text conversations with.

I'm not saying you have talked about me because I actually have missed a couple of your videos. But I hope you realize, Ryan, how talking about someone else besides yourself can feel humiliating to the person whose life you describe.

I find your story to be extremely interesting and telling it in videos in order to offer help to others in your shoes is a real gift from you.

My post in this thread had nothing to do with my YouTube channel.

Since you were bothered what you saw, you could have reached out to me privately instead of writing misleading information about my videos and channel instead of adding it into a topic that had nothing to do with my YouTube vlogging.

As far as my YouTube channel goes, I did NOT tell anyone's "story" on my video. I did paraphrase (anonymously) what was posted on a Facebook site as an example of a common theme I see on many forums and groups. Perhaps I could been more generic about it, by saying "I've seen posts similar to...." or something. However, I also mentioned having similar negative thoughts myself.

There wasn't a "story" about anyone besides my own story, which was the main context of the video. The video was about what steps I've done to get out of that mindset and my belief that forgiving ourselves for past failures in our weight loss journey could be helpful. I mention other people have their own story that may, or may not, be similar to mine. My channel is my story, not the stories of others beyond what people may relate to my experiences, and I found it inappropriate that you insinuate that I would use anyone's story on my channel without permission.

I would never share a specific person's story without permission, just like if I was writing a book or something. I wouldn't want to make people on this forum uncomfortable about interacting with me because they think my YouTube videos might include references about them, which they don't, but now with what you wrote, you've probably accomplished just that. Now, people I enjoy sharing and supporting and those who have given me support on this forum may not interact with me as freely as before. I'm a bit heartbroken and expect my involvement here will diminish.

I don't make videos about other people's stories who are on this or any other forum. I share in my posts and my channel what I learn and what I experience on this journey, which is obviously going to be similar to what some people also experience.

So, Diane, rest assured I will not be sharing your story, or anyone else's story on my channel or on any other forum.

I am still early in this journey, but I have a life and career that allows me to spend a great deal of time researching journals, scholarly publications and sorting through data, and I want to share that with others. I want everyone to be successful. We are all on different paths, but some of us have similarities in how we came to choose surgery and our lives afterward. I want to support others who are battling the disease of obesity and have chosen surgery. I wish I would have put this effort into research in the past, maybe I could have avoided surgery, but I didn't. Now it is my mission to learn as much as I can, be as successful as I can, and share it with others. I do that on forums like this, and on my YouTube channel. As far as what I share, people can make up their own mind whether or not they find it helpful or not.

Now, people I enjoy sharing and supporting and those who have given me support on this forum may not interact with me as freely as before. I'm a bit heartbroken and expect my involvement here will diminish.
Noooo! Please continue to share your research and experience with us! I find your contributions fascinating and very helpful as it goes with what I believe and understand, but can't fully organize to say or think in a coherent manner. Thank you for all of your diligence in rooting out the science behind WLS. We need to hear it to dismiss the myths and fears that have been perpetuated by less science-based, old information. Science is always advancing and the more we know the better we can feel about our decisions.

I have no idea what Diane is talking about, but it's one woman's perspective.

I have watched several of your videos, and in some, I too feel as though you have told "my story". However, I know that I'm not the only one who has certain issues or feelings, and the fact that you experienced them and shared YOUR feelings and experiences makes me feel more comfortable that I am not alone. Everyone here has experienced some of the feelings you have expressed. That doesn't lessen your story, it just makes it more relatable. The fact that someone feels that when you told YOUR story, and they saw THEIR story, means that they are not alone, and you have something in common.

Keep up the VLOGs. They are very helpful and informative.

I don't watch vlogs, as a general rule. I prefer to read my info to watch it. It just clicks better for me. But, after this thread, I, being human and nosy, checked it out. My opinion here does not actually matter and the only reason I decided to share it is because that opening scenario could have literally been speaking about ME. And that's the kicker, isn't it? The whole reason we join a support group or watch a WLS vlog is really for understanding. We like to think we're all unique and special (and we are) but we share so many of the same experiences here; the struggles of being obese, trying to lose weight pre and post op ups and downs. Some of them are quite honestly, generic. This site is filled with posts about the "average" weight loss and "I'm only down..." and "HELP! I'm not doing good enough". I am sure every other WLS site has the same topic. And I'm sure every WLS vlog has a similar topic as well. (no offense, Ryan!) Because THIS is what we share. THIS is our common ground.

I don't watch vlogs, as a general rule. I prefer to read my info to watch it. It just clicks better for me. But, after this thread, I, being human and nosy, checked it out. My opinion here does not actually matter and the only reason I decided to share it is because that opening scenario could have literally been speaking about ME. And that's the kicker, isn't it? The whole reason we join a support group or watch a WLS vlog is really for understanding. We like to think we're all unique and special (and we are) but we share so many of the same experiences here; the struggles of being obese, trying to lose weight pre and post op ups and downs. Some of them are quite honestly, generic. This site is filled with posts about the "average" weight loss and "I'm only down..." and "HELP! I'm not doing good enough". I am sure every other WLS site has the same topic. And I'm sure every WLS vlog has a similar topic as well. (no offense, Ryan!) Because THIS is what we share. THIS is our common ground.

Lol, no offense taken...my topics and content are not original!! I don't expect to have too many subscribers! There are many many channels out there on the topic. Really, the vlog is for me to look back on my journey. I share it primarily because I hope someone, somewhere may get some good out of it, and there are many more women than met with weight loss channels, so I decided, what the hell, I'll do this too.

I have watched several of your videos, and in some, I too feel as though you have told "my story". However, I know that I'm not the only one who has certain issues or feelings, and the fact that you experienced them and shared YOUR feelings and experiences makes me feel more comfortable that I am not alone. Everyone here has experienced some of the feelings you have expressed. That doesn't lessen your story, it just makes it more relatable. The fact that someone feels that when you told YOUR story, and they saw THEIR story, means that they are not alone, and you have something in common.

Keep up the VLOGs. They are very helpful and informative.
Thanks for that feedback. It's appreciated. I'll keep up the vlogs. :)

Noooo! Please continue to share your research and experience with us! I find your contributions fascinating and very helpful as it goes with what I believe and understand, but can't fully organize to say or think in a coherent manner. Thank you for all of your diligence in rooting out the science behind WLS. We need to hear it to dismiss the myths and fears that have been perpetuated by less science-based, old information. Science is always advancing and the more we know the better we can feel about our decisions.

I have no idea what Diane is talking about, but it's one woman's perspective.
Thanks, Lisa. I appreciate that. I'm constantly trying to learn in hopes that I will be successful at this for the rest of my life. I can't go back to the way I was. I know that I'm not alone and I like sharing. Before COVID I would do presentations at conferences around the country on professional topics and such, so I like sharing info and such. I'm thankful for your feedback.

Back