• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Stalls

Tokash

Anything thats helpful to jump start out of a stall? Its been about 3 weeks now- first week i lost a pound, 2nd .5(and I'm pretty sure it was all hair) and this past week about a pound and a half.

Ny eating was off when I had the acid issues and trying to get it back on track. I was having a snack between meals to help but now that the meds are helping I want to cut that back out. I only do 1 protein shake a day otherwise I really struggle to get my water in.

Had my dietician appointment yesterday and she was happy with the weight loss...me not so much. My surgery was on 9/2 and I weighed 236 on that day. Yesterday I was at 194. I eat pretty much all protien- likely 90% of my diet is a meat product at this point. Im rarely hungry and rarely thirsty. Its easy to eat my meals even though I'm not hungry because I know I have to. Water is harder.

This is the chart I have been using, as most other sites agree with the average loss numbers. You've lost 42lbs, which is a HUGE accomplishment and as you can see, well above the average. They expect you to lose weight, mostly continuously, for a full year. It is so frustrating when the weight loss stalls or slows down. I have been struggling with a(nother) stall recently myself. I just keep reminding myself it's a marathon, not a sprint. There is no award for getting there faster and anything that isn't a gain is a win. When you start under 250, you are not going to lose as fast as someone starting at 400. Those first few weeks spoil us with that rapid burst and get us thinking every week should be a 5+lb loss. But that is not sustainable or healthy. If you are following your program (and I see you are) it WILL come off. Be patient with yourself. I know that's easier said than done but do it anyway lol

The truth is, there isn't any for sure way to "jump-start" out of a stall. Most people will end up attributing their success to whatever they were doing when the stall did break. Usually what people recommend are correlations with very little evidence of causation. BUT, if something does seem to work for you, go for it, and if it keeps working for you, keep doing it. :)

Personally, I try to vary my food intake between lower and higher calories every now and then. I have absolutely no scientific evidence if this is effective, but anecdotally, I feel like I will often drop a few pounds after increasing my calories a little bit for a day and then reducing them again for a week or two. My longest stall in these first 5 months has been about 7 days, and some people wouldn't call that a stall at all. I am still expecting a much longer stall at some point in the near future.

I don't rely on exercise to break a stall. You'd have to workout intensely for more than an hour a day, every day to make more than a few pounds difference over the course of a year. Food choices are the main contributor to success in the long term, from the research I've read. What I believe is we must discover what foods work best for our bodies. Not everyone is going to have success following the "blanket" guidelines given to use by dieticians or nutritionists. If you are lucky, you'll get a dietician who believes in personalized nutrition, which is a relatively new concept that focuses on feeding your microbiome the foods they will help you metabolize the best. I believe microbiome health is the key, much more so that "low carb" or 'keto" or any other fad diet.

The DIETFITS study by Stanford showed that people eating both a low carb and low fat diet lost about the same amount of weight, but a portion of both groups also didn't lose weight or they gained weight, even though they were eating the same type and amounts of foods as the people who lost weight. This is most likely because of the differences in how their gut microbes processed the food. So, my point here is, you may experiment a little bit with what you are eating. We are trying to avoid glucose and insulin spikes which trigger fat storage, even on a low calorie diet, and some people can get those spikes with foods that don't trigger the same spike in other people.

From the recent big nutrition studies I've read, there are really only two sort of "universal" truths about eating: 1. Don't eat ultra-processed foods (especially things with 10 or more ingredients) and 2. Eat a wide diversity of plants, at least 20-30 a week to give a wide variety of fiber food to your microbiome. A "wide diversity" does not mean you have to eat a large volume, and it doesn't mean you have to be a vegetarian, it just means including many different plants, even in small amounts like spices, seeds, nuts, veggies, fruit, fungi, and anything else that grows. What you eat primarily beyond a variety of plants is what needs to be individualized for each person, which takes some experimentation, preferably with a continuous glucose monitor or if you are willing to do a finger prick with a regular monitor several times a day after you eat over the course of a couple weeks to see how you react to different foods.

I believe eventually, the future will start recognizing more personalized diets for everyone. You'll give a fecal sample to analyze and map your microbiome and you'll be told what the best foods you should be eating to be at peak healthfulness.

Sorry, I went on a tangent.

I guess I could have said: keep making good food choices, stay well hydrated, maintain a caloric deficit and you WILL burn fat and eventually see the number on the scale change. You body is changing regardless of what you see on the scale.

Don't be afraid to experiment a little with food though. :)

Good luck, you'll get through it!!

Again, Ryan, thank you for your insight. I read about the science behind what you're writing and get so excited, and then realize the vast majority of doctors, dieticians, and nutritionalists are not leaning into the research. I'm thankful my PCP practices integrative medicine and is open to what I've read, although my dietician is not from the same group. I have an appointment with my dietician next week to get on track. Apparently I missed a 6 week check up I didn't know I needed, (oops! explains a lot though), so I'll find out then if there's an approach to individual needs.

I am pretty sure I dont have one of those dieticians. While I think she is great she wasn't keen on me having 2 snacks a day in between meals to help with acid issues...this even after the doctor approved it.

I find that my nutritionist just tells me the same as I read in their instructions - she does not think outside of the written word
Which is not always helpful. I too snack in between as simple as a cheese stick or some beef jerky and am still not getting enough calories - barely hitting 400 to 425 calories and I should be at 550 to 700 - I am almost 3 months out from surgery
I get full to easily to just eat 3 times per day - and with vitamins and water it is hard to eat food too

Again, Ryan, thank you for your insight. I read about the science behind what you're writing and get so excited, and then realize the vast majority of doctors, dieticians, and nutritionalists are not leaning into the research. I'm thankful my PCP practices integrative medicine and is open to what I've read, although my dietician is not from the same group. I have an appointment with my dietician next week to get on track. Apparently I missed a 6 week check up I didn't know I needed, (oops! explains a lot though), so I'll find out then if there's an approach to individual needs.
It helps me to stay on track to share and talk about it, too. Doctors and nurses get very little nutrition training, and they almost certainly never get continuing education in it, unless they have a specific interest. Unfortunately, dieticians and nutritionists often get into the same boat. They get a ton of nutrition education, of course, but if they don't keep up on the research, they tend to just stick to a particular plan for everyone.

The idea of personalized nutrition is very new, and it requires some stretching of boundaries for a lot of people. For example, in the bariatric world, there is a pretty strong emphasis on "low carb," but that might not be the best choice for everyone, and low carb also seems to mean different things to different people, just like Paleo and Keto have different levels of adherence from person to person, yet there is often a mentality of "this is the only diet that will work for you" and when someone fails at it, they blame themselves, regardless of surgery or not.

Back