• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Staple failure

After a CT all they said here was a breakdown? My surgeon retired 7 years after my surgery. I will probably have a scope to see what’s what. Back then insurance covered Bariatric surgery it does not now, well here it dosent. I’ve been taking Melocicam for 2 years for severe arthritis and that may have caused issues. Will know more after the scope I guess? From what I researched a Breakdown of surgery means staples. So I’m hoping for an ulcer at the least!

Deb, welcome to the group. I had a problem at about the 8-year point. I wrote about it here:

Because of this group and the feedback I had, I did go for and upper GI, then a bariatric endoscopy. Never go to a clinic that does a plain endoscopy. The bariatric endoscopy is the only kind you should have.

I don't know why they'd say "breakdown." I hop they're not scaring you much. Don't jump off into the deep end and imagine all kind of terrible things. But make sure everything you do is specialized for you needs. I don't even know what breakdown means, nor do i know which surgery you had.

If your pouch has stopped functioning and is leaking into your abdomen, that's super dangerous, so you should get this figured out as quickly as possible.

Here's what happened to me:

It may not be as bad as you think, but if they aren't making a big deal out of it & getting you in immediately, it's probably not serious.

These days if you have a defective pouch, they can restitch it by going down your esophagus. Much less invasive and very little recovery time.

Keep us posted, please.

Deb, welcome to the group. I had a problem at about the 8-year point. I wrote about it here:

Because of this group and the feedback I had, I did go for and upper GI, then a bariatric endoscopy. Never go to a clinic that does a plain endoscopy. The bariatric endoscopy is the only kind you should have.

I don't know why they'd say "breakdown." I hop they're not scaring you much. Don't jump off into the deep end and imagine all kind of terrible things. But make sure everything you do is specialized for you needs. I don't even know what breakdown means, nor do i know which surgery you had.

If your pouch has stopped functioning and is leaking into your abdomen, that's super dangerous, so you should get this figured out as quickly as possible.

Here's what happened to me:

It may not be as bad as you think, but if they aren't making a big deal out of it & getting you in immediately, it's probably not serious.

These days if you have a defective pouch, they can restitch it by going down your esophagus. Much less invasive and very little recovery time.

Keep us posted, please.

Thank you so much! My pcp said there was no leakage on the CT and she just wasn’t familiar enough to even say what she might guess. I’ll see a gastro here and he will send me on if necessary. I’m pretty proactive when I fell any thing out of the ordinary and now being super careful what I eat until I know what’s going on. I’m so glad to hear this as my symptoms are very similar to yours. My appt is the 16th and I’ll know more and also good to know about endoscope and the difference. I’ll be looking out for that for sure.

Great! The reason for the bari endo tech is that he/she knows exactly how to place the scope. I don't know if you have a card to carry in your wallet, but my surgeon gave me one to caution any ER docs not to place the scope blindly. It's really important that your tech knows what to do and of course, most clinics that offer bariatric surgery employ a skilled bariatric endoscopist.

Back