• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Starting liquid diet in 2.5 hours!

Anyone have any thoughts on a protein shake I bought? It only has 10g of protein and 17g of sugar. Is this ok for me to drink during my pre op liquid diet? I got excited to buy it because it was strawberry and i wanted variety from the chocolate and vanilla I've been drinking from another brand. Thoughts?

This does not sound like an acceptable level of protein or sugar for a protein shake. You have to be careful to read labels. Most protein shakes have 30g of protein and less than 5g of sugar. You aren't describing a health drink; you're describing sugar flavored milk. Truly.

If you were to use that shake to get to the 80g of protein most programs recommend, you would have to drink EIGHT of them. For a whopping total of 136 sugar. The recommended daily max is less than 50 sugar.

Anyone have any thoughts on a protein shake I bought? It only has 10g of protein and 17g of sugar. Is this ok for me to drink during my pre op liquid diet? I got excited to buy it because it was strawberry and i wanted variety from the chocolate and vanilla I've been drinking from another brand. Thoughts?
That is Not a good protein shake, I'm sorry to say. :/ I'm curious, what brand is it?
I started my pre-op diet this week too and have gone a little nuts with the protein shakes, lol. I've bought, I think, 7 different brands and a bunch of different flavors. The parameters that I was given was: at least 20 grams of protein, no more than 4 grams of sugar, no more than 15 grams carbs and no more than 200 calories.
Premier has the most variety of flavors that I've found, including strawberry, and I haven't tasted a bad one yet (bought a variety pack on Amazon). My fave dessert tasting one is Quest salted Caramel (bought at Target). The vegan ones don't have as much protein, but are good if you've got a dairy intolerance. I also bought the Premier Protein water, in fruit punch flavor, and tried my first one today. I did not like it, but forced myself to finish it as I can't waste protein! :)
Good luck!

Ok guys. 3 days almost done and I'm dying. Like soooo dizzy and lightheaded. What the heck?!?! And the hunger pangs! Does this get easier? Please tell me it does hahaha
It looks like we started our pre-op diet on the same day! :) Is your surgery on May 31st, like mine? :) The first day and today have been my toughest days so far. I feel ya on the light headedness and hunger pains, and focus issues! I think that within a couple of days our bodies and minds should adjust and give us a bit of peace...at least I Hope so! ;)

That is Not a good protein shake, I'm sorry to say. :/ I'm curious, what brand is it?
I started my pre-op diet this week too and have gone a little nuts with the protein shakes, lol. I've bought, I think, 7 different brands and a bunch of different flavors. The parameters that I was given was: at least 20 grams of protein, no more than 4 grams of sugar, no more than 15 grams carbs and no more than 200 calories.
Premier has the most variety of flavors that I've found, including strawberry, and I haven't tasted a bad one yet (bought a variety pack on Amazon). My fave dessert tasting one is Quest salted Caramel (bought at Target). The vegan ones don't have as much protein, but are good if you've got a dairy intolerance. I also bought the Premier Protein water, in fruit punch flavor, and tried my first one today. I did not like it, but forced myself to finish it as I can't waste protein! :)
Good luck!
I am using Premier Protein caffeine latte for my morning protein to give me the illusion of having coffee. Does this mean I do not have coffee no. I have 1 cup of regular coffee at night with my hubby. I got so sick after day ine with no caffeine I told my surgeon I have to have my coffee at night or I will have a migraine.
I use Boost vanilla and chocolate. And Isopure has a clear protein powder I have been using. You need to make it ahead of time to allow it to clear up but it is a great option to thick shakes.
I also have unflavored protein powder and vanilla from Isopure. They are sf and keto friendly if you been that. My sons were keto for a bit so I used to make a breading from the unflavored.
I also have every water additive you can think of to help with drinking water all crystal light and mio. Today though I think I cannot have any fruit punch since its red. So lemonade it will be since surgery is tomorrow.

I am using Premier Protein caffeine latte for my morning protein to give me the illusion of having coffee. Does this mean I do not have coffee no. I have 1 cup of regular coffee at night with my hubby. I got so sick after day one with no caffeine I told my surgeon I have to have my coffee at night or I will have a migraine.
I use Boost vanilla and chocolate. And Isopure has a clear protein powder I have been using. You need to make it ahead of time to allow it to clear up but it is a great option to thick shakes.
I also have unflavored protein powder and vanilla from Isopure. They are sf and keto friendly if you been that. My sons were keto for a bit so I used to make a breading from the unflavored.
I also have every water additive you can think of to help with drinking water all crystal light and mio. Today though I think I cannot have any fruit punch since its red. So lemonade it will be since surgery is tomorrow.
It's great that you knew what would and wouldn't work for you and talked to your doctor about it. :) I need to get some of that unflavored protein powder as I've read here multiple times that it's a great way to boost intake. So far the only extra powder I put on/in anything is benefiber, lol. Last night coated catfish with cajun seasonings...and then benefiber. :p I didn't realize that you can't have red before the surgery. I knew it for the endoscopy, but not this...thanks for the heads up! :)
So exciting that your surgery is tomorrow!! How are you Feeling? :)

Ok guys. 3 days almost done and I'm dying. Like soooo dizzy and lightheaded. What the heck?!?! And the hunger pangs! Does this get easier? Please tell me it does hahaha
Day 3 was my most difficult. I just tried to distract myself, drink a different flavored something, take a short walk around my office building. In the evenings, I grabbed my big glass of water with ice and went upstairs for the evening away from the kitchen. By the time I got to the clear liquids only the day before surgery, it was like, "okay, whatever, I've got this!" You will, too! I had a dream about foods last night, 5 days post-op, so I know it's on my mind that I want real food even if I'm managing during the day. Hang in there!!

Day 3 was my most difficult. I just tried to distract myself, drink a different flavored something, take a short walk around my office building. In the evenings, I grabbed my big glass of water with ice and went upstairs for the evening away from the kitchen. By the time I got to the clear liquids only the day before surgery, it was like, "okay, whatever, I've got this!" You will, too! I had a dream about foods last night, 5 days post-op, so I know it's on my mind that I want real food even if I'm managing during the day. Hang in there!!
Thank you so much - yeah, it's pretty miserable being so tired but the hunger itself is dissipating a little I think? That's crazy to think too that I won't have real food again for like a month haha. Is it a bit easier now that you are post-op or just as difficult or difficult in a different way?

Back