• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Starting my journey

Honeecoco

Hello, my name is Honeecoco. I am 59 years old. I have a family history of diabetes and hypertension. I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea. My oldest child and only son passed away in 2011 from lymphoma. I have 5 grandchildren whom I want to be a part of there lives as long as I am able. I decided to have lap band surgery. I am approved. I need to take the next step. I have doubts and fears. I do not want to sabotage myself. I have told only a few close and supportive friends. Moist people tend to have a negative view of weight loss surgery. They try to make you feel like you are a falure. I am glad I came upon this web site. There are not many support groups out there for weight loss surgery.

Greetings, Honeecoco;

Welcome to this site. You will find lots of support here and answers to questions, recipes, etc...
Everyone goes through the doubts and fears stage. Alot of people are nervous before surgery. You also should have a support group at the hospital you will be having the surgery. Your Team at the hospital will be giving you information before you go. Ask them any questions you have that is what they are there for.
As for those out there that have a negative view of weight loss surgery-there will always be those kind of uniformed people out there. I never pay attention to them. There is alot involved in the surgery process-the doctor does the surgery and gives you the tool to work with and then it is up to you to go by their directions. Plus, you must exercise. You still have to watch what you eat closely.

Carol

Welcome to the forum. Another lapbander. Wishing you success. I literally love my lapband. My biggest worry was the fills but they have been a peice of cake. If you have any specific questions please feelfree to ask. Anyone on this forum will be ore than happy to help any way they can. Our problems are slightly different from bypass or sleeve surgeries. Joy

Hi honeecoco welcome to this chat room glad you found us, this room is full of wonderful people who'll help you along the way and answer your questions and concerns. Sorry to hear of your loss. My mom had lymphoma, she is 75 now and has numerous health issues. I understand you not wanting to tell others about weight loss surgery. I heard people say " oh you're taking the easy way out" boy are they wrong. It's not easy having to follow a strict regiment of how you eat, what you eat. It
is a wonderful feeling once the pounds start comming off. My oldest child ,well he's 30 he suffers with sleep apnea, i bet once you reach the weight the dr recommends for your body you'll be able to stop with the sleep apnea machince. Once i had the surgery i was able to stop high blood pressure med. Cholestrol med, and insulin, down to one diabetic med, and hoping at next months visit to be done with that med. Too you're not a failure, you are human and we all love food and being able to get enough exercise and the right foods is a challenge. I'm 56 and i am so glad i went ahead and had the surgery for i feel it gave me a second chance at life. I was blessed with late life babies(twins) there 19 now, and now that i have had the surgery and feel so much more alive i know i will be around to be a grandma one day and enjoy the years i have left. Please continue to come back and share your concerns and questions everybody here just wants to help and be supportive of each other. This room has been so good to be in the year that i have been comming here for support and made some great friends along the way. Hope you have a good weekend. Donna (bigtallsis)

welcome to the forum. Don't let other people's opinions direct your health choices. do the thing that you know is right for you.

Back