• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

starting out

Hi all,
I am to have my surgery on the 25th of this month if my insurance approves it. (I think they will). I have one "friend" that has given me so much information that they did not tell me at the classes that at times it sure does scare me. Could I get anyones experiences on their journey? I just had a major case of constipation like I have never had before. I don't want to screw things up, so I just try to stick to what is on the paper. During the classes, they just pass some of these things as no big deal. like, I didn't know a good but of my hair may fall out. I didn't know I could go from constipation to diarrhea until i level out. Also depression may set in. Oh my, I think what have I gotten myself into. Then I think I will be ok......

Hi all,
I am to have my surgery on the 25th of this month if my insurance approves it. (I think they will). I have one "friend" that has given me so much information that they did not tell me at the classes that at times it sure does scare me. Could I get anyones experiences on their journey? I just had a major case of constipation like I have never had before. I don't want to screw things up, so I just try to stick to what is on the paper. During the classes, they just pass some of these things as no big deal. like, I didn't know a good but of my hair may fall out. I didn't know I could go from constipation to diarrhea until i level out. Also depression may set in. Oh my, I think what have I gotten myself into. Then I think I will be ok......
I am one year and two months post op, everyone recovers differently, but you will not regret it. I'm now only ten more lbs to lose to goal weight. I never dreamed I would make it this far. I've lost 147 lbs total. I lost 58 lbs before I started the program. 20 more before I had the surgery and the rest after I had the RNY gastric bypass. Amy hair loss grows back be diligent in taking your vitamins. It is so worth all the benefits and getting your health back. Congratulations o, your new journey

Hi all,

Welcome to the group. Congrats on the surgery if it happens. :D

First off, your getting the sleeve I see. Remember sleeve patients are slow but steady in the weight loss side of things. Second, of course they didn't share everything with you, they want you to pay for the surgery they offer not scare you away! :p
Relax, though, you will be fine. Yes, you may have hair loss. Why? because it is a natural reaction your body may have to the anesthesia. It doesn't all fall out at once and leave you bald. If you take prenatal vitamins post-op it will help curb the amount and help regrowth. It is natural though, and will happen around month 3-4 after the surgery, once your body has adjusted to the 'new you' from the surgery. :oops:
Yes, you can go from constipation to diarrhea quickly. So, do things to keep yourself leveled out, it really is that simple. Take your fiber, don't eat foods you are not supposed to and drink 64+ ounces of water a day. Since you will be trying to keep your protein levels up and doing protein shakes, it isn't that hard. When you are able, each a cheese stick, an apple or slices of avocado daily, it helps level you out naturally.
Oh, and guess what, you will have mood swings, you may develop a change in your taste buds, you could become lactose intolerant and you might not be able to handle sugar filled foods after the surgery. So, this may require you to take a day off, change your eating habits, give up milk and stop eating cookies. :rolleyes:

Here's the truth about this surgery, in case they didn't spell it out for you. Weight loss surgery is life changing surgery. It is a major life changing surgery. Regardless of sleeve, bypass or DS, it is going to forever change you. You are purchasing a tool to help you lose weight, and change your habits that have helped you gain the weight, and it is also going to force you to kind of behave the first year after surgery to maintain healthy habits. After that you are on your own. If you abuse the tool, you will gain the weight back, feel like crap and think you wasted your money. If you USE the tool, you will lose weight, adjust to the changes, live a healthier life. It isn't a miracle pill that will shed the fat for you, you actually still have to put in the work to lose the weight. I hope they told you that at least. It isn't easy either, just ask anyone here that has been working hard to lose the weight after surgery. It is a battle, every day. It is a life changing experience and requires active participation on your part to be successful. That is what you have 'gotten yourself into.' o_O

I hope your successful and you meet the challenge head on, because the benefits are lifelong and wonderful. Best of luck to you! ;)

Welcome to the group. Congrats on the surgery if it happens. :D

First off, your getting the sleeve I see. Remember sleeve patients are slow but steady in the weight loss side of things. Second, of course they didn't share everything with you, they want you to pay for the surgery they offer not scare you away! :p
Relax, though, you will be fine. Yes, you may have hair loss. Why? because it is a natural reaction your body may have to the anesthesia. It doesn't all fall out at once and leave you bald. If you take prenatal vitamins post-op it will help curb the amount and help regrowth. It is natural though, and will happen around month 3-4 after the surgery, once your body has adjusted to the 'new you' from the surgery. :oops:
Yes, you can go from constipation to diarrhea quickly. So, do things to keep yourself leveled out, it really is that simple. Take your fiber, don't eat foods you are not supposed to and drink 64+ ounces of water a day. Since you will be trying to keep your protein levels up and doing protein shakes, it isn't that hard. When you are able, each a cheese stick, an apple or slices of avocado daily, it helps level you out naturally.
Oh, and guess what, you will have mood swings, you may develop a change in your taste buds, you could become lactose intolerant and you might not be able to handle sugar filled foods after the surgery. So, this may require you to take a day off, change your eating habits, give up milk and stop eating cookies. :rolleyes:

Here's the truth about this surgery, in case they didn't spell it out for you. Weight loss surgery is life changing surgery. It is a major life changing surgery. Regardless of sleeve, bypass or DS, it is going to forever change you. You are purchasing a tool to help you lose weight, and change your habits that have helped you gain the weight, and it is also going to force you to kind of behave the first year after surgery to maintain healthy habits. After that you are on your own. If you abuse the tool, you will gain the weight back, feel like crap and think you wasted your money. If you USE the tool, you will lose weight, adjust to the changes, live a healthier life. It isn't a miracle pill that will shed the fat for you, you actually still have to put in the work to lose the weight. I hope they told you that at least. It isn't easy either, just ask anyone here that has been working hard to lose the weight after surgery. It is a battle, every day. It is a life changing experience and requires active participation on your part to be successful. That is what you have 'gotten yourself into.' o_O

I hope your successful and you meet the challenge head on, because the benefits are lifelong and wonderful. Best of luck to you! ;)
Thanks so much. I want to succeed and believe I will. I have lots of work to do. I am not really supported at home even today my husband wants me to go out to eat. I told.him I would go but didn't want pressure on eating anything. (I am 1 week out from surgery and on the liquid diet). I just sometimes think people don't want me to succeed and that makes me more determined than ever.

I am one year and two months post op, everyone recovers differently, but you will not regret it. I'm now only ten more lbs to lose to goal weight. I never dreamed I would make it this far. I've lost 147 lbs total. I lost 58 lbs before I started the program. 20 more before I had the surgery and the rest after I had the RNY gastric bypass. Amy hair loss grows back be diligent in taking your vitamins. It is so worth all the benefits and getting your health back. Congratulations o, your new journey
Thank you. Just getting use to all this.

Thanks so much. I want to succeed and believe I will. I have lots of work to do. I am not really supported at home even today my husband wants me to go out to eat. I told.him I would go but didn't want pressure on eating anything. (I am 1 week out from surgery and on the liquid diet). I just sometimes think people don't want me to succeed and that makes me more determined than ever.

Best of luck on that liquid diet, it is the one thing I don't miss! This is an amazing group of support when you need it!

Was told yesterday that my surgery was approved but they changed the date to the 26th. 4 more days now. Thanks for all the information and support you all have given me. It is much appreciated. Excited but also a little concerned, which I do believe is a common thing.

Thanks so much. I am ready. Almost had a break down today. Looked at myself in the mirror and just lost it. Then I remembered---- I have this and this is why I am doing this. To lose this look and be healthy.

Thanks so much. I am ready. Almost had a break down today. Looked at myself in the mirror and just lost it. Then I remembered---- I have this and this is why I am doing this. To lose this look and be healthy.
You will definitely see positive results. I am happy for you!

Back