• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Starting over

Loops

Hello,
I've decided to join this group to find some support from people who are experiencing what I went through and will be going through. After a lot of thought I have decided to seek some guidance for a revision. I had my first visit to start the process on deciding what is the best revision for me. I've had many emotions about this feelings of failure for being here again, but I'm doing this for myself and my two young children. I hope you can provide some advice and feedback and just be support for me. Thank you for reading.

-L

Welcome Loops. When did you have your original surgery and what type did you have? This is a subject that rarely comes up here, so I'm excited to hear from you about the details that brought you here. Please tell us more.
Hi thank you for the warm welcome. I don't mind sharing my experiences. I originally started my journey in 2012 when I was at my heaviest which was 310 lbs. I had a surgeon that I felt comfortable with and decided on the sleeve. I did the liquid diet joined a boot camp and worked hard to get down to 175 lbs. I maintained that well, but then things changed. I got more involved in work got married and had children. I was 180 when I married 5 yrs ago ad after the birth of my second son I went to 220. Here I am again almost at the weight I was originally and I beat myself up about it. I know I used food as a coping mechanism in the past and these past two years with a lot of stressors I did it again. I had an appointment today to discuss my options for a revision to get back on track and I will share my experiences if ya'll would like.

Thank you for sharing! I don't think I'm speaking out of turn when I say most of the group seems to have had surgery in the last five years, or even closer to present day. I'm surprised you had the sleeve because I don't remember anyone ever talking about that procedure existing when I was post-op from 2007 on. There are two other procedures people rarely talk about, with sleeve and bypass being the most common. Those names escape my brain at the moment.... duodenal switch is one, I think... anyway, again, welcome. Please jump in on any thread any time. This has been a great, active group for a while, but before that, it was dead for several years. I'm so grateful it's alive because I have no other source of support to lean on.

The sleeve was a fairly new procedure being offered when I did mine. Currently as far a revisions are concerned I can resleeve, gastric bypass or an updated version of the duodenal switch. I have my upper GI scheduled for next week and then need to schedule and endoscopy before any concrete plans can be made.

Hello and welcome. Don't be ashamed or feel like a failure, be proud of realizing you need a little more help and fighting to take the steps you need to for a better you.
That is all that matters at the end of the day.
We are all a work in progress.
Best of luck to you.

Hello and welcome to the group. I am glad that you are going to see about a revision. Not everything works for everyone and a different surgery may work better for you. WLS is just a tool. So, maybe you used a hammer when you needed a drill. lol

It's not easy to maintain weight loss and its hard to keep that laser focus that got you to the finish line when you're years out and life just keeps demanding attention. Don't feel ashamed. Live and learn, right?

Welcome to the group! I am on several other support groups and revision from sleeve is very common for some reason. Don’t feel like a failure though. Life happens and most of it is out of our control. Food is our old friend. And unlike other addictions we can’t get away from it. Proud of you for taking first steps toward your future. What has happened is in the past and can’t be changed, so welcome to your new future!

Hi! Glad you are part of the group and contributing! I’m not too far out from surgery, but I really value what people farther out have to share about their experiences, what worked for them and what didn’t. We are all here for the support from people going through this WLS journey with us. You came to the right place!

Back