• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Starting Pre-Op Diet

My surgeon & team have everyone do a minimum of 14 days of a modified liquid diet at 1,000 calories per day. (One person I know has a 4 week liquid diet!) It’s just protein shakes, broth (under 10 calories) and decaf tea. They said it is to shrink the liver as much as possible. Most obese people have fatty liver infiltration, which makes it enlarged and stiff. (I do.) The stomach is tucked in a little space under the liver. They have to hold it up while working on the stomach. The RN case manager told us a story about observing a gastric bypass where the liver was still enlarged and stiff at surgery. While it was being held up (by a little steel bar apparently) it started to turn black. The RN was alarmed but thought it might just be the monitor. She asked the surgeon and they said it was the liver bruising from all the pressure on the holding bar. Ugh!! THAT has motivated me to be absolutely dedicated to my liquid diet and daily exercise!
I just drank my last pre-op shake. Tomorrow it is clear liquids and Friday is the day!

When I heard about the reason for losing weight before surgery it motivated me as well. But wow, that is crazy about the liver turning black. I have heard that some surgeons will not operate if the liver doesn't shrink enough. That was my motivation!

Good luck on Friday Jonah, I hope all goes well and you have a speedy recovery!

My surgeon & team have everyone do a minimum of 14 days of a modified liquid diet at 1,000 calories per day. (One person I know has a 4 week liquid diet!) It’s just protein shakes, broth (under 10 calories) and decaf tea. They said it is to shrink the liver as much as possible. Most obese people have fatty liver infiltration, which makes it enlarged and stiff. (I do.) The stomach is tucked in a little space under the liver. They have to hold it up while working on the stomach. The RN case manager told us a story about observing a gastric bypass where the liver was still enlarged and stiff at surgery. While it was being held up (by a little steel bar apparently) it started to turn black. The RN was alarmed but thought it might just be the monitor. She asked the surgeon and they said it was the liver bruising from all the pressure on the holding bar. Ugh!! THAT has motivated me to be absolutely dedicated to my liquid diet and daily exercise!
I just drank my last pre-op shake. Tomorrow it is clear liquids and Friday is the day!
Yay for Friday!!! You’ll do amazing!

I have mixed feelings about being told not to do the liver shrinking diet.

With all I've heard about why it's done, I'm nervous about not doing it. I also understand why my doctor doesn't want me to do it.

At my original consultation, my BMI was 36.6, I lost 17 pounds in three months, bringing my BMI to 35.2, just barely enough to qualify for surgery.

During that three months, several times my BMI dropped below 35, and he doesn't want to risk Medicare denying my claim.

Unlike other insurances, Medicare doesn't preauthorize bariatric surgery. You just have to meet the guidelines and keep your fingers crossed!

I had to switch from 1200 calories and 800 calories before surgery and I think I had short liquid diet for a couple of days before surgery. I will have to check my packet about that. I am down 53 pounds once feb 15 I feel like I am making good progress. May your journey be blessed.

The only thing I can think of, you are already doing and that is to be in this group. I didn't join until a few months after surgery because there were no local groups due to Covid. This group is so much more valuable than my local group and I've learned so much more!

One of the things I wanted to have before my two week pre-op was an Italian Sub of all things! So whatever you want as a send off, do it! You don't want to be craving that while you are on all liquids and have it be haunting you.

I wish you the best of luck Jordan. May the two weeks fly by fast!!
I ate a subway sandwich this weekend, before I started the liquid diet.

I fully intended to follow my preop diet. However should ever need encouragement, I will think of your post about the liver and preop diet.

Back