• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Starting the journey

I am 69 years old and scheduled for bariatric surgery in September or October. I've completed all my pre-op tests except for meeting with a psychologist and a dietician. Until recently I was excited about the surgery but then I started reading some online forums. The post-op horror stories really concerned me. The vomiting, the difficulty with meal prep (I live alone), etc. I was seriously contemplating cancelling my surgery until I had a face-to-face with my surgeon today. I realize there are bad outcomes in any surgery, but they certainly can't be the rule. My surgeon weighed the pros for me, including: no more acid reflux; preventing diabetes and addressing serious acid reflux damage (which I was unaware of) to my esophagus. And, of course, the benefits of losing many unwanted pounds. I'm now more comfortable about going ahead with the surgery. My doctor urged me to contact support groups (like this one) to learn more. If anyone has an opinion, pro or con, I'd love to start a dialogue. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Welcome to the group! Not saying there aren't risks with the surgery but sometimes you have to decide if it is worth the risk. Are you at risk doing nothing? Most of us would say yes.

I did have some complications which have been noted here in this group but I fell in a very small percentile that has that happen. I will say that after I recovered from my complications and started to lose weight, felt healthier that I have in decades and regained my mobility, it was the best decision I could make. Did I feel that way the first few weeks following surgery? No. But I did come around, I survived and say it was all worth it.

I wish you all the best in your journey. I think you will like our group. So much great information here and very caring people.

Welcome BILL ! I am 69 too I had my surgery a year and a half ago I’m not going to say it was easy but I I’m going to say it was the best thing I’ve ever done because I want to live longer and eat better. Don’t know what else to say but if I can do it yo can too. There are plenty of good stories on this site too .

Congratulations on making the journey so far. Getting medical info from your surgical team is your number one responsibility. Having said that, you will have a great source of info, support, and encouragement here.

I had gastric bypass on July 12th. I read everything I could find ahead of time, including reading past posts going back several months to help prepare myself mentally & physically.

I followed and am still following the post-surgery diet exactly and even extended my stage 2 (full liquid) & stage 3 (pureed food) an extra week each to allow my stomach to heal.

I have not had nausea or any vomitting. I stocked my pantry & fridge with protein shakes, broth, sugar free jellow & popsicles, low carb yogurt, cottage cheese & eggs (both allowed on my stage 3 w/o pureeing), a few jars of baby food & no sugar added applesauce. This got me through the 1st month & I didn't have to go grocery shopping for several weeks.

For me, Benefiber & Gatorade Zero every evening, plus prescribed colace twice daily & omeprazole daily, helped take care of constipation. You might wish to discuss this with your nutritionist.

I'm almost 60 yrs old & this was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I felt so prepared going into the surgical process, and life since has been like a dream come true.

Definitely this is not an easy way out, but it is a healthy way to live the rest of your life if you choose to continue your journey. I've lost 31 lbs so far & haven't felt this good in a long time.

Good luck and please don't get discouraged.

HI, Bill. I'm glad you talked to your surgeon before deciding to quit. All surgeries come with risks and I'm sure they've laid them out for you. Some people have complications but the majority don't.

People will share the negative before the positive and happily blame anything but themselves for any bad outcomes they have. Vomiting is not usually due to a complication. Usually it's due to eating something that you should not have or eating too much. I would go so far as to say most times, that is the case.

I have no idea how anyone could have a meal prep horror story. It's awesome lol I can imagine trying to make meals willy nilly after surgery being difficult. Which is why you need a plan. I just made my baby cousin, who started puree on Monday, a bunch of grab and go individually packed "meals". She can't eat much and you want to start small anyway. So I packed up 5 individual size (2oz) each of baked ricottas, mashed sweet potatoes (with maple syrup and cinnamon), protein puddings, & spaghetti squash with sauce. That's plenty to get her through the week, since these are the first real food experiments. Check the recipe sites, there are a million ideas out there for you to get the nutrition and meal preop help that you need. You can actually even find 7 day 3 meal 2 snack menu plans already made.

And getting a support group who can advise you or just listen, is really the best thing you can do. We're here. We'll help. You'll be great. Welcome!!

Until recently I was excited about the surgery but then I started reading some online forums. The post-op horror stories really concerned me. The vomiting, the difficulty with meal prep (I live alone), etc. I was seriously contemplating cancelling my surgery until I had a face-to-face with my surgeon today. I realize there are bad outcomes in any surgery, but they certainly can't be the rule. My surgeon weighed the pros for me, including: no more acid reflux; preventing diabetes and addressing serious acid reflux damage (which I was unaware of) to my esophagus. And, of course, the benefits of losing many unwanted pounds. I'm now more comfortable about going ahead with the surgery..
Welcome! I had an open procedure--major surgery--14 years ago. I had just lost my beautiful father, after watching him struggle with diabetes and heart disease for decades. He was such a vital man who was a gifted landscape architect, creating beauty everywhere. He landscaped the grounds of Glacier National Park and Rocky Reach Dam, as well as hundreds of homes and businesses--too many achievements to mention. I wanted to die when I lost him. We were great pals.

After he died, I resolved not to suffer the same, treatable conditions. 8 months later, I had RYGB and changed everything about my dietary lifestyle.

For the last 14 years, I've been living the post-bariatric surgery life. I've learned about nutrition and vitamin supplements and being active. I thought I knew everything I needed to know before I took the step. But I didn't.

I'm so stinkin' healthy at 70, it's ridiculous. I definitely had a few post-op problems, but they resolved within the first few months. Part of the reason was that I took it VERY seriously. I was also in a 7-year study sponsored by the University of Washington. But they didn't tell me what to eat. They just clocked how far I could walk, climb stairs and took gallons (it seemed!) of blood. Vampires!

They tracked me but I was in control of my habits. It was reassuring to see my progress. The feedback I got from various medical professionals was, literally, that I could be the poster child for WLS.

Mind you, I did nothing special; I got no breaks. It was all very typical and totally worth it. I'd do it all over again. I wish I had done it 10 years sooner.

Everyone experiences some discomfort or challenge. But with the availability of the sleeve, etc, it's less painful than a trip to the dentist.

I live alone, though not right after surgery. it's a million times easier to do without other people buzzing around.

Don't let fear stop you from saving your life. I'd kill for 5 or 10 more years with my dad.

Hearing from so many caring people almost brought tears to my eyes. I thank you all SO much. I just want to be healthy again and not worry so much about the maladies of old age. You have all made me feel much better about going ahead with the procedure. Like I said, I've checked everything off my pre-op list except counseling and meeting with a dietician. I hope to do that in the next few weeks. My doctor says it's very possible I'll have my surgery before the end of September or perhaps early October. Thank you all again and I'll keep you up to date!

Thank you all. Now, I have another question. As I said, I'm 69 years old and live alone. (My daughter lives nearby and will help but with two little one of her own I don't want to rely on her too much.) One of my biggest concerns right now is what to eat post-surgery. I am far from a whiz in the kitchen. I've existed mostly on frozen dinners and sandwiches (which is part of my problem.) All this talk about shakes and protein and small servings is daunting. Is there any on-line company that provides easy meals for those with a new gastric sleeve? I appreciate it.

There's a store that is responsible for the existence of this group. It's accessible from the home page.

There are many others, too.

I avoid sandwiches but eat toast when i have eggs, but if you eat a good multigrain, and can buy it in thin-slice. You can make a filling grilled cheese by spraying it lightly with Pam, and grilling it on a cast iron or nonstick skillet. Pop it in the microwave to finish, if desired.

Bread's okay, but use it wisely.

I've also been known to eat a baked potato sprayed with butter Pam, topped with a dollop of plain yogurt and dill weed.

Whatever you want to eat, reframe each ingredient. An the Healthy Choice version of Lean Cuisine is da bomb.

Oh, and an open-faced peanut butter half-sandwich on a nutritious slice of bread, nibbled slowly, can be a great meal. Savor every bite and put it down on a plate between bites.

Also, do what the Japanese do. Arrange your foods on a beautiful plate with beautiful utensils and polished glass or ceramic serveware, a beautiful mat or tablecloth, and a grateful bow or prayer before eating. Eating with chopsticks can be enlightening as well.

Serve small portions separately, as courses. BE with your food. Know it before allowing it into your body. Be grateful to the source of all things, and to the people who raised the crops and animals that became your food.

It may sound silly, but I can only drink purified water (lead-free) and I silently thank the people who retieved and bottled it, every time I sip. No chlorine required. I pay money for water like every food item and drink it all day.

Back