• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Starting the process of bariatric surgery

I have Medicare through United Healthcare and it only took 3 months once I got the process started, but I’m afraid the length of wait time can also be dependent on the doctor. I had done a couple of my appointments before I saw the surgeon so my wait was shorter than some I guess. Many doctors require several nutritionist appointments and almost all insurance requires at least 3 appointments, a month apart, before the doctor can even file for approval. Average time for most people using insurance is 6 months. For some it’s longer. There’s also the psychological evaluation and some doctors also require an EGD so they can look at your stomach from the inside, EKG’s, labs, etc. it’s quite the process but with all that said it is so worth it! Also, if you change insurances make sure Bariatric surgery is covered. Not all insurances do.

BlueCross had similar requirements, three months of seeing Dietician and exercise coach is the longest piece, but I am not sure how long surgery scheduling will take after that.

Back