• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Step 1 of the Journey

ndjohn

New to This!

I have accomplished a couple of things, still a work in progress. I have my first meeting tomorrow
with the nutritionist. It should be interesting, I know that I have made some bad choices in the past
and I am working hard to change those, hopefully with these 1st steps. Don't know when I will have
my surgery yet, Still a work in progess. I hope with all of your help my journey will be smooth and fruitful.

Thanks for listening
Nan

Welcome, I haven't had my surgery yet but hopefully in Dec before Christmas. The site has tons of info and everyone is nice and very helpful. Good luck on your journey to a new you.

New to This!

I have accomplished a couple of things, still a work in progress. I have my first meeting tomorrow
with the nutritionist. It should be interesting, I know that I have made some bad choices in the past
and I am working hard to change those, hopefully with these 1st steps. Don't know when I will have
my surgery yet, Still a work in progess. I hope with all of your help my journey will be smooth and fruitful.

Thanks for listening
Nan

Hi Nan! WELCOME to the Forum!!!

Weight loss surgery has changed my life. I couldn't be happier!!! It will change your life too!

Best of Luck!!!!

Cheyenne :cool:

I am hoping that I can get this done as well quickly. I am so anxious to get started. I have wanted this since 2008 but insurance just would not pay. Now new employer but same job so new insurance will pay.... YEA!
I only have the psych eval left.............
Maybe we will be having this about the same time, would that not be cool.

Nan

Welcome.

This is a life changing experience. It will take time. Follow the steps.

follow the direction.

You will do well.

Before you know it the surgery date happens and then your new life journey begins. Yes, we all struggle in the early stages, but there is so much to gain by sticking to your vision of your new self.

My first anniversary was 11/4/2014. I reached my goal on July 12, 2014.

Just so you can anticipate the many accomplishments you will experience, I kept a list that I happily publish now and then on this site for people to look at and think about and then experience their own journey and new accomplishments. Here is my list:

Accomplishments as a result of my Bariatric Gastric Bypass (11/4/2013)

• Diabetes resolved – off all meds, avg reading 110
• BP normal again – I am still taking bystolic 5mg. Resting pulse is around 60 and BP near or below 120/80. Without the bystolic my resting pulse is still in the 60s. However, my BP goes up to the high 130s/high 80s.
• Sleep Apnea resolved – I am not snoring nor do I believe I am stopping breathing. I will confirm this later this year.
• Legs no longer swollen
• Waist size has shrunk – Wearing size 44 pants
• Feet are smaller – I was able to put a pair of dress shoes on that I haven’t been able to wear.
• I stay under 1200 calories a day. Most days around 1000 calories.
• I have a lot more energy and I can dance, dance and dance!
• I can walk up neighborhood hills aggressively without having to stop; no longer breathless.
• My incontinence due to my prostatectomy has been resolved.
• I am able to sleep in my bed again. I had been sleeping In an upright chair to be comfortable.
• Dramatically reduced backaches; almost completely gone.
• I can bend over and tie my shoes now and I can see my toes.
• I can do dance steps again that I couldn’t do. The belly is gone!
• Now wearing size 42 slacks.
• Starting to sleep on my side again! This has happened in years!
• Intimacy much improved !!! 
• Fit in to a small diner booth !
• I can run up and down stairs several times without becoming breathless
• I squeeze out between two cars that were tightly parked together. A year ago I couldn’t get out of the car; I would be trapped.
• I squeezed into a size 38 pair of pants. (6/1/2014)
• Sleeping on side is comfortable now. (6/1/2014)
• Sleeping flat on my back is doing fine too. No longer need to be propped up. (6/1/2014)
• I have reached my goal of under 200. I weigh 197 (9/9/2014)
• Size 38 Pants fitting comfortably now (9/9/2014)

I should add that I have successfully maintained my weight between 196 up to 200 since July 12, 2014. If I hit 200 I go into emergency mode and go back to the bare disciplines of a 1200 calorie program for awhile until I sink back down to 196 to 197 again. It works. I don't let my weight stray to far.

Most of the time I do fine and maintain without having to go back to 1200 calories. Generally, I am at 1500 to 1800 calories now and do fine. Sometimes I do over indulge and then I have to cut back.

Best wishes,

Ralph

On MY Way

I am on my way. Received news late yesterday that all paperwork has been filed with the insurance company. The doctor's office
is expecting an answer within 5 business days. So hopefully, next week, in for my last appointment and we schedule surgery.
It can be done any time between now and the end of the year except the 1st week of December.
I am really excited..

Back