• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Still little loss post surgery; going out of my mind

virgomrs

I'm 25 days post sleeve and still have only lost 6 lbs since surgery. I've been following the rules closely..

I saw the surgeon this week and he says my body is in "starvation mode". According to him I've not been eating enough calories. I've been under 500 daily. I must increase to 900.

So I'm trying to increase my calories and still stay within the limits of the carbs and not go crazy with fats. I'm not able to solve this problem! What do ya'll eat to get your calories up? Sounds counter-intuitive, doesn't it?

I'm starting to feel like crap physically also. No energy, completely discouraged. I've gone through all this and nothing is working! I'm hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction! Thanks.

Gaye

I'm 25 days post sleeve and still have only lost 6 lbs since surgery. I've been following the rules closely..

I saw the surgeon this week and he says my body is in "starvation mode". According to him I've not been eating enough calories. I've been under 500 daily. I must increase to 900.

So I'm trying to increase my calories and still stay within the limits of the carbs and not go crazy with fats. I'm not able to solve this problem! What do ya'll eat to get your calories up? Sounds counter-intuitive, doesn't it?

I'm starting to feel like crap physically also. No energy, completely discouraged. I've gone through all this and nothing is working! I'm hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction! Thanks.

Gaye

Hi Gaye! Don't get discouraged, when you do drop weight it will probably be a good amount all at once. At 25 days I ate baked white fish. I ate tuna and salmon in a little Miracle Whip. I ate eggs. I wasn't allowed to have meats until 7 wks. I ate applesauce and cottage cheese. The protein keeps your body from going into starvation mode. Even now 20 months after my surgery, I was hungry going to bed last night at 1 am, I reached into the fridge opened up a container and grabbed a chunk of white meat chicken I had prepared for such occasions and it satisfied me. Protein is the key to losing weight after surgery.

What foods have you been eating?

Good Luck!

Cheyenne

Highly recommend scrambled eggs and greek yogurt. They helped me and before surgery I didn't even like them.

I've been eating poached eggs (they're moister than scrambled) and the greek yogurt makes me gag. I'm still struggling - have only lost 8 lbs in 39 days.

I also did cream of wheat and added protein powder (strawberry worked well but not full amount as it made it to dry)

Have you been drinking any protien shakes?...I drink Premeir Protein it has one of the highest protein Ive found and there not so bad. I perfer the van. and chocolate they also have strawberry 130 cals 32grams protein ..I am 6 months since surgery and have lost only 33 percent of my weight.. Just remember the sleeve is not a a cure all by itself. They tell me walk walk walk... make sure to get your protiens and talk your vitimans... Good luck you'll get there ...Thats what everyone keeps telling me cause I don't always think it fast enough.. But I also know it takes work..

Yes, I also drink Premier protein drinks, at least 2 a day.I've tried many others and always stick to them. Thanks for the encouragement.

Just a quick follow up......I'm 62 days out and have lost a grand total of 14 lbs since the surgery. No speedy weight loss for me! I'm remaining on tract and continuing in the right direction, just slowly....

I have a new goal to add to this one - I'll be taking the new oral treatment to hopefully cure my hepatitis C. My surgeon assured me that my sleeve surgery would not be a concern. I'm very excited about that. My primary doc thinks I'll be a new woman in a year or so. Here's hopin'!

So I'm 255 days out. I've been going thru a 12 week treatment to rid myself from hep c and it has been a hard road to travel. I have continued with my eating regimens but the exercise has had to go by the wayside until these drugs get out of my system. I have less than a week left to go and my blood tests tell me the virus is now undetected. A real win for me. I have continued to lose weight even during all this even if it is at a slow rate, I'm pleased with having lost 70 lbs so far. :cool:
Happy Holidays to all who celebrate this time of year.

So I'm 255 days out. I've been going thru a 12 week treatment to rid myself from hep c and it has been a hard road to travel. I have continued with my eating regimens but the exercise has had to go by the wayside until these drugs get out of my system. I have less than a week left to go and my blood tests tell me the virus is now undetected. A real win for me. I have continued to lose weight even during all this even if it is at a slow rate, I'm pleased with having lost 70 lbs so far. :cool:
Happy Holidays to all who celebrate this time of year.

Sounds like you are doing great! You have been through a lot and continued to lose weight. CONGRATULATIONS on your success!!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!

Cheyenne

Back