• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Still on the fence, is it worth it?

donnakat

Hi all,

I am still in the pre-surgery program. I am still on the fence about the surgery for a few reasons and want to know from those who have had the gastric sleeve if it's worth it.

If you could do it all over again, would you still have the surgery?

Thank you in advance for your opinion.

Donnakat

I would do it again in a heart beat...

AND

Had the procedure been done robotically 30 years ago, I would have had it done then..

Thank you StinkerBelle.

You are under your goal weight, good for you! Are you still losing or have you leveled off? Has it been really hard? What would you say was the hardest part?

Donnakat

I am 9 months post op with the gastric bypass.

All I can say is this is the best decision I ever made in my life. I also firmly agree with StinkerBelle.

What has happened in the last several years is the operation has been modernized with robotic and larproscopic procedures being the common mode of operation now.

I have posted all the benefits I have seen over and over again, but here goes again:

Accomplishments as a result of my Bariatric Gastric Bypass (11/4/2013)

• Diabetes resolved – off all meds, avg reading 110
• BP normal again – I am still taking bystolic 5mg. Resting pulse is around 60 and BP near or below 120/80. Without the bystolic my resting pulse is still in the 60s. However, my BP goes up to the high 130s/high 80s.
• Sleep Apnea resolved – I am not snoring nor do I believe I am stopping breathing. I will confirm this later this year.
• Legs no longer swollen
• Waist size has shrunk – Wearing size 44 pants
• Feet are smaller – I was able to put a pair of dress shoes on that I haven’t been able to wear.
• I stay under 1200 calories a day. Most days around 1000 calories.
• I have a lot more energy and I can dance, dance and dance!
• I can walk up neighborhood hills aggressively without having to stop; no longer breathless.
• My incontinence due to my prostatectomy has been resolved.
• I am able to sleep in my bed again. I had been sleeping In an upright chair to be comfortable.
• Dramatically reduced backaches; almost completely gone.
• I can bend over and tie my shoes now and I can see my toes.
• I can do dance steps again that I couldn’t do. The belly is gone!
• Now wearing size 42 slacks.
• Starting to sleep on my side again! This has happened in years!
• Intimacy much improved !!! 
• Fit in to a small diner booth !
• I can run up and down stairs several times without becoming breathless
• I squeeze out between two cars that were tightly parked together. A year ago I couldn’t get out of the car; I would be trapped.
• I squeezed into a size 38 pair of pants. (6/1/2014)
• Sleeping on side is comfortable now. (6/1/2014)
• Sleeping flat on my back is doing fine too. No longer need to be propped up. (6/1/2014)
• I have reached my goal of under 200. I weigh 197 (9/9/2014)
• Size 38 Pants fitting comfortably now (9/9/2014)

I would do it in a heartbeat again.

I did gastric bypass to gain the immediate control of my T2 diabetes.

The gastric sleeve achieves this over time as you lose weight.

I am also hearing that T2 is controlled pretty quickly with gastric sleeve as well.

Either way I would have the operation again and again for all the gains I have seen.

Ralph

Wow. You are awesome.

Thank you.

Actually, now I consume around 1500 calories a day.

I am trying to find a good maintenance routine.

What I need to make sure is I stay at my goal weight from now on.

This is the lifestyle change.

I have NOT extended my stomach very much.

Many people start to eat larger portions, but I haven't.

I do about 6 tiny meals a day.

3 ounces of protein is still a lot.

When I have too much I still get uncomfortable and that is GOOD !!!

So, when the first burp starts to happen I know it is time to stop.

I am also enjoying some foods that I have not had in awhile. I still have issues with too many veggies.

I don't get nearly enough veggies and I still need a protein supplement to achieve my 80 to 90 grams a day. Without it I end up around 70 grams, which isn't too bad.

Thanks again,

Ralph

Back