• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Still struggling

Me again. I am at week 7 now from gastric bypass. Still really struggling mentally and physically. Feeling like this is never going to get better. In the beginning I was hitting my protein goals - but now that I am trying to introduce new foods (so bored with same foods) I am unable to hit my protein goals (between extreme nauseous and only being able to eat 2 tablespoons) and I feel weak all the time. I have nauseous meds but I never know how I am going to react and it seems silly to take the meds after I eat. I am starting to get anxiety every time I eat and I don’t want to eat. How am I supposed to hit my protein goals? I need to start feeling better - feel so sad and weak!

Me again. I am at week 7 now from gastric bypass. Still really struggling mentally and physically. Feeling like this is never going to get better. In the beginning I was hitting my protein goals - but now that I am trying to introduce new foods (so bored with same foods) I am unable to hit my protein goals (between extreme nauseous and only being able to eat 2 tablespoons) and I feel weak all the time. I have nauseous meds but I never know how I am going to react and it seems silly to take the meds after I eat. I am starting to get anxiety every time I eat and I don’t want to eat. How am I supposed to hit my protein goals? I need to start feeling better - feel so sad and weak!
I totally get you. I am 8 weeks out and my brain is spinning. This was supposed to be a time for me to take care of myself, reflect on how my past has contributed to the decisions I make today, etc. What I have is, my mother's newly discovered liver cancer (supposed to be very treatable. Yea!) and my sister who is a fall-down drunk. Between putting my sister in detox then taking care of the same things when she gets out, trying to give my mother some peace as she take her first treatment August 1st and trying to support my stepmother who is caring for my Dad who has Alzheimer's. Then there's my poor husband who works like a dog and I feel I have nothing left to give him at the end of the day. And I'm supposed to prep food and vitamins for myself? The thing is, I can take care of myself but I'm letting distractions derail me. I was reading something that said, "If you don't want to do it, do it anyway." I think I may need to cling to that. Everybody has stressors in their lives, right? I know it doesn't mean I don't take care of myself. I don't take the time and I need to. In the evening I mix Orgain choc/pb powder with whey protein and collagen protein. I mix it with unflavored, unsweetened almond milk. Takes me awhile to finish it but it is tasty. I make sure I get a bottle of water down with it. During the day I take a scoop of Orgain vanilla horchata and a little whey, a little cinnamon and it's delicious. Both very high protein. I do eat regular food but I have to puree it. Regular food just isn't making it for me yet.

You have to be willing to focus on YOU! I totally understand that others have needs and often we can help. But this has to be you time. You literally had a large portion of a major organ removed .. To improve your life and health. That and your needs have to come first. We used to have a member who would say "you can't pour from an empty cup!" Just like you have to put on your own oxygen on an airplane before even your children .. Because you can't help anyone if you're out of commission!!

Eat the same thing if you have to!! Just get your protein!! It is not forever. It's temporary. Add new foods that are high in protein .. Turkey, chicken, beans, yogurt, dairy whatever. If you can't get your protein thru food, add a protein shake for a snack.

This is not a 6-8 week change .. It's for life. Be patient. You will eventually be able to eat pretty much anything and everything. I had BBQ ribs tonight. You'll get there. Please give yourself the time and attention you need to succeed.

You have to be willing to focus on YOU! I totally understand that others have needs and often we can help. But this has to be you time. You literally had a large portion of a major organ removed .. To improve your life and health. That and your needs have to come first. We used to have a member who would say "you can't pour from an empty cup!" Just like you have to put on your own oxygen on an airplane before even your children .. Because you can't help anyone if you're out of commission!!

Eat the same thing if you have to!! Just get your protein!! It is not forever. It's temporary. Add new foods that are high in protein .. Turkey, chicken, beans, yogurt, dairy whatever. If you can't get your protein thru food, add a protein shake for a snack.

This is not a 6-8 week change .. It's for life. Be patient. You will eventually be able to eat pretty much anything and everything. I had BBQ ribs tonight. You'll get there. Please give yourself the time and attention you need to succeed.
Wise words, thank you!

I am struggling to get in all my protein too. I buy meats high in protein and take one bite multiple times a day. I also fix a protein shake in about 4 ounces of water because it doesn’t take as much to finish it.

I am struggling to in all my protein too. I just bought deli sliced turkey and am wrapping it around a cheese stick to up my protein. And I am adding peanut butter to my afternoon banana. Every little bit of protein helps.

My team suggested 5-6 small meals/snacks a day rather than 3 bigger meals. This really worked for me, especially early on when it was so hard to actually eat more than a few bites.

Hi Missyinacage, that is the exact strategy my surgical team has recommended to me. I have been trying this all week. They told me I need to eat more in order to lose more weight and overcome my plateau.

Back