• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Stoked Beyond Stokedum

Time4me123

Hi, Y’all!

Happy to have discovered this forum as a helpful resource for those who have “been there, done that” - and want to express my sincere gratitude for the kindness & tremendous words of support. I’ve a total noob here, I have begun my post-op journey and am on day 5. My surgery date for ny vertical sleeve gastrectomy was last Thursday, August 10, 2023. Definitely going through the motions with recovery as my surgeon discovered a lovely Hiatal Hernia looming and in bad need of repair (go figure, I have zero inkling it was even there), so I had a 2 in 1 surgery. Needless to say, the additional issue with struggle in swallowing and even taking deep breaths the first few days post-op was so real. Happy to say my fluid intake is steadily increasing without any huge aversions, I’ve started taking short walks outside with assistance, my Bullet blender is now my bff & I’m excited to be fully healed, however, I’m listening to this bod of mine and am not by any means pushing beyond my capacity. My abdominal binder which felt like a torture device thise first 3days post op while I was stuck up woun gassy and not so sassy, has now become a tool to help me relieve some of the strain my back is feeling as it’s momentarily been overcompensating for my broken down tum. Baby steps.

Learning that though I very rarely “rest” or simply lounge around, that this restful period combined with short walks is crucial to the process. Embracing it all.

For anyone that has or will be dropping any words of advice, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Blessings & Light to all of us as we journey into our new stages of self discovery in strength, power, control & life enjoyment! Sky’s the limit, Bari Buds!!!

Welcome to the group. My RYGB was 8/2/23. I am enjoying the rigors of postop life as well. I said goodbye to the binding tummy thing in the hospital bc the nurse said it was for my comfort only, and it was not comfortable. I may try it on again now that my swelling is gone and I'm down 20 lbs. It is the movement when I walk that hurts sometimes. Maybe. I thought I was healing well until I forgot my Tylenol Monday night at bedtime, and I woke up feeling it everywhere, and realized I may still have a long way to go after all.

Back