• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Stomach ache

Pink Julie

I have had a sore “stomach” for a couple of months now, it’s not agony, but it’s not going away, it’s always there.
It’s on the left hand side to the center just under my rib cage. That is the area where the feeding tube was after surgery.
What is there? Or are these aches and pains just to be expected?

If you haven't talked to your surgeon and/or GP, do so immediately.

Pain is never normal. Pain is a voice your body uses to communicate with you. If it was expected, you should have been informed in advance.

Your organs are stuffed into this finite space in a certain order and should never hurt. Pain is a sign you need to read and act upon immediately.

I'm not suggesting more surgery, but it's essential to know you're healing properly. When I notice something's going on, I always try to figure it out, without taking any action. But then I remember I'm not a doctor, even though I understand anatomy intimately because I was required to study it and draw pictures of it in both science and art classes. A doctor is 10 times more familiar than me. I want that level of knowledge to analyze my health, including chronic or acute pain.

Do you think it is your stomach or muscles in the stomach area? I still (over a year out) have muscular soreness, especially if I lie on my left side. I mentioned that to my surgeon at my one year check-up but he had no clue as to why. I had 3 surgeries June of 2020 so any one of them may have been the cause and the 3rd one was open abdominal surgery.

I have no idea what it could be but if it's been going on for a few months, check with your GP. Just because you've had WLS does not mean you have to see your surgeon every time you have a pain that may or may not be stomach related. It could be something as simple as a developing ulcer but like most things, they're easier to take care of if you catch them early ;)

Back