• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Stomach Flu and Vomiting

Oh yay, :(... Not

I have thrown up for the first time, thanks to the stomach bug my son and mother both so graciously shared with me..

For me the vomiting was more like power refluxing everything in my pouch back up and out. The only difference was the force of the reflux..

It was not as bad as what I had imagined. Like I said it was more of a power re-flux. Then again before surgery I would always projectile vomit.

I am now on the BRAT-VR diet aka Bariatric rapid and appropriate tasks for vomiting and recovery diet...

PROGRESSION OF DIET AFTER VOMITING

1. First of all, when you vomit—your pouch swells—sometimes swells A LOT. So, if you try to eat or drink too soon—you will just throw up. So it is a vicious cycle.

2. Anytime you vomit (for the rest of your life), you will not eat or drink anything for 4 hours after the vomiting. Then—you start with a cup of hot tea or hot broth. Sip slowly---if you can get that to stay down---then you stay on fluids for the rest of the day.

3. The next day, you will start protein shakes and continue all no calorie fluids. If you do not vomit, you will then stay on shakes the rest of that day.

4. The next day, you will try puree foods. If that stays down you stay on it all day.

5. If at any time you vomit ---you go back to the beginning and start over: waiting 4 hours after vomiting then start warm broth, then clear liquids.

6. This will give your pouch a rest so that you can let the swelling go down and eventually stop the vomiting.

7. If it does not improve with these steps, please call the office at ***-***-**** for the nurse to help you.

I am going to lay down.. I am worn out.

Feeling great!!! Lost 25 pounds since starting the pre diet and upped my treadmill walking to 3.0 for 30 minutes (1 1/2 miles).

Oh yay, :(... Not

I have thrown up for the first time, thanks to the stomach bug my son and mother both so graciously shared with me..

For me the vomiting was more like power refluxing everything in my pouch back up and out. The only difference was the force of the reflux..

It was not as bad as what I had imagined. Like I said it was more of a power re-flux. Then again before surgery I would always projectile vomit.

I am now on the BRAT-VR diet aka Bariatric rapid and appropriate tasks for vomiting and recovery diet...

PROGRESSION OF DIET AFTER VOMITING

1. First of all, when you vomit—your pouch swells—sometimes swells A LOT. So, if you try to eat or drink too soon—you will just throw up. So it is a vicious cycle.

2. Anytime you vomit (for the rest of your life), you will not eat or drink anything for 4 hours after the vomiting. Then—you start with a cup of hot tea or hot broth. Sip slowly---if you can get that to stay down---then you stay on fluids for the rest of the day.

3. The next day, you will start protein shakes and continue all no calorie fluids. If you do not vomit, you will then stay on shakes the rest of that day.

4. The next day, you will try puree foods. If that stays down you stay on it all day.

5. If at any time you vomit ---you go back to the beginning and start over: waiting 4 hours after vomiting then start warm broth, then clear liquids.

6. This will give your pouch a rest so that you can let the swelling go down and eventually stop the vomiting.

7. If it does not improve with these steps, please call the office at ***-***-**** for the nurse to help you.

I am going to lay down.. I am worn out.

So sorry you have the flu. I hope you recover quickly and easily. Take care of yourself!

Oh no that sounds like torture to me. While i was in the hospital they kept pushing the flu shot on me but i refused each time. I dont want to get the flu but for me its one vaccine i wont risk.

I am glad to hear it. My husband works in the lab and he brought that home last week. He is over it but he said his stomach is still weak. He was in pain but I am quite sure yours was worse considering you had your surgery not to long ago. So glad you are feeling better. :cool:

I am glad to hear it. My husband works in the lab and he brought that home last week. He is over it but he said his stomach is still weak. He was in pain but I am quite sure yours was worse considering you had your surgery not to long ago. So glad you are feeling better. :cool:

I had no pain. The nausea was the killer for me..

Funny thing for me, I now know what it is like to vomit like a normal person, LOL..

Sorry if this is TMI, What was normal for me was projectile vomiting. When I talked to my surgeon, he told me the fact I was not projectile vomiting was proof to me, StinkerBelle, that the surgery corrected the esophageal defect that I was born with...

My stomach is still weak but the nausea is no where as bad as it was and the vomiting resolved itself, :)

(Very likely my husband brought it home to, however I am blaming my son and mom because the both had it and they love to share with me, ;)... LOL

Back