• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Stopping the cycle

Could we all try to remember that this is a support group and a judgement free zone, please. Children can and should have access to all types of foods. The idea that only health foods should be kept in a household where not everyone has an unhealthy relationship with food is unrealistic. As parents our job is to guide our children, not control them. This should be a place where we can discuss our concerns without being told how we should be acting. Thanks.
I do have 2 other children who don’t have any issues with food, so considering them is also important. I think it’s about finding the right balance for our whole family. I definitely don’t want my eldest to feel deprived because that’s when he’ll probably start being more sneaky about foods. I think having a healthy relationship with ALL foods, not just healthy foods, is important.

Could we all try to remember that this is a support group and a judgement free zone, please. Children can and should have access to all types of foods. The idea that only health foods should be kept in a household where not everyone has an unhealthy relationship with food is unrealistic. As parents our job is to guide our children, not control them. This should be a place where we can discuss our concerns without being told how we should be acting. Thanks.
Wouldn't it be great if we had healthy pantries? The best way to teach is to live.

I must say, however, that there are kids and then there are kids! Thank god we know enough to come here for the fabulous support.

Maybe the best way to deal with family stuff is to make&share. A double-standard is always noticed by kids. I remember noticing, and planning to have, what my parents hid from us as soon as I was old enough.

We're constantly advised to set a good example for our kids. But what if we brought them into the decision-making process?

I love this support group. It keeps me on track. And I think there are many topics that go somewhat afield of the purpose, but I think people need a safe place to vent. So sometimes I skim without responding, but I'm so grateful people feel safe to share--hopefully on topic, or close to it.

My step son struggled with his weight around that age too. Then he got really into cooking, found chefs and vloggers to follow and it was great for him! He was very involved in planning meals and helping me shop. He also got a membership to the YMCA when old enough and enjoyed lifting weights. He’s all grown up now and still a big guy but he’s healthy and fit. But 12 is a rough age - hormones, body awareness, and like others said, covid didn’t help. I’d just continue to encourage activity, and lead by example with eating.

I asked his doctor about his triglyceride level after he said that all his levels were fine. He said that yes they are high but it’s a reflection of his more current diet. He was on a trip with my husband a couple weeks ago and definitely ate a lot different than normal-lots of pizza and soda.

Back