• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Suddenly eating more

LOL @ an "entire" cheese stick. Yes, it is normal to be able to eat a cheese stick. And its a good choice so good on you.

Listen to your body, it will tell you if you've eaten too much. It can also be helpful to determine your serving size and eat only that, if you're concerned about eating too much. Because at some point .. but not this point! .. you may be able to eat more than advisable.

Congrats on getting to this point. Its nice to be able to eat again isn't it?

yes it is. you will eventually be able to eat even more than "one cheesestick". i mean..physically you will be able to eat more. i am dealing with the same thing and what it is all about is that we now have to make lifestyle changes and truly watch what we eat, etc. very difficult when your whole life you have been eating what you want and how much...when you want!

I personally found those early months a great chance to reset my preferences to healthier foods. Since I could not eat much, I tried a bunch of healthy foods that I did not previously eat. Worst case, I'd hate it and sub in a protein shake.

I am amazed by the difference in my tastes. Roasted veggies, of all kinds, are my new favorite food. It used to be Kraft Mac & Cheese LOL Now I eat and love most vegetables, instead of just the starchy ones. I make lentils, and chickpeas into soups and currys. I make my own beans, my own hummus (no oil added), I eat that dip with sliced radishes, instead of chips.

So my suggestion is take this time to try everything, even if you hated it previously. Once you clear your palate of all that processed food and its additives, which are made to be addictive btw, you open up to real and natural flavors.

Sadly, baked good still taste so good haha

I'm almost 6 months out and I have discovered that drinking hot beverages works best. I never drank coffee or hot tea before but it really helps get daily amounts of liquid. It also helps to relax my stomach for eating within 30 minutes after drinking.
I don't think there's a one way that works for everyone. But I think it's great to know and hear what's worked or working for others. It's definitely a lifestyle change in many ways so everyone has to find what works best for them and also being able to share thoughts and ideas with others. May help you in the future.

What I can eat depends on what I am eating. If I am eating meat or something with more girth to it, I cannot eat near as much as when I am eating "slider foods", so I do still have to be vigiliant about what I put in my mouth. Cheese is an easier food to eat, but not necessarily bad for you in smaller quantities.

I'm almost 6 months out and I have discovered that drinking hot beverages works best. I never drank coffee or hot tea before but it really helps get daily amounts of liquid. It also helps to relax my stomach for eating within 30 minutes after drinking.
I don't think there's a one way that works for everyone. But I think it's great to know and hear what's worked or working for others. It's definitely a lifestyle change in many ways so everyone has to find what works best for them and also being able to share thoughts and ideas with others. May help you in the future.
The warm liquids work well for me also. At night I brew a pot of low acid, decaf coffee and it's so relaxing!

I personally found those early months a great chance to reset my preferences to healthier foods. Since I could not eat much, I tried a bunch of healthy foods that I did not previously eat. Worst case, I'd hate it and sub in a protein shake.

I am amazed by the difference in my tastes. Roasted veggies, of all kinds, are my new favorite food. It used to be Kraft Mac & Cheese LOL Now I eat and love most vegetables, instead of just the starchy ones. I make lentils, and chickpeas into soups and currys. I make my own beans, my own hummus (no oil added), I eat that dip with sliced radishes, instead of chips.

So my suggestion is take this time to try everything, even if you hated it previously. Once you clear your palate of all that processed food and its additives, which are made to be addictive btw, you open up to real and natural flavors.

Sadly, baked good still taste so good haha
I can't eat anything bread-like. I'm afraid it would be too much of a trigger for me!

Back