• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Sugar Addiction

Surgery was 2015. Lost 77 lbs. Regained 52. I have a sugar addiction and lost all my motivation. When I eat right, the Sleeve works perfectly. I'm addicted to slider foods snd I don't know how to break the addiction. That's why I need meetings. Can anyone help? I'm so unhappy and my diabetes is back.

I don't have any "from personal experience" advice because I am pre-op. But, I have my own addictions, or I wouldn't be here. With that being said, have you seeked out therapy? I don't know if it would help but it definitely wouldn't hurt. Try a local support group, in person?
I hope you find the help you are in need of and get back to being happy!

Hello! First off it is great the sleeve is still working. I too have a real problem with sweets and it has contributed to 25 pounds of weight regain for me. The things I am currently trying are: food journaling (for real that self accountability factor has made me pause with some of my sweet bites, licks, and tastes); I am trying the "I can have a little" process, I have gotten some hershey kisses which are NOT my favorite sweet but they are individually wrapped and if I get in my protein or the day I can have 3 in the evening (oddly this is working, I really look forward to getting those kisses as a reward); and lastly I am trying things like getting back in this group to help my self accountability. I believe in you! You are here, you are reaching out, you want to be healthy and get the diabetes managed again. You know you can do it because you have done it so it is finding the right tools that will work for you! <3

It is so great to hear from those who had their WLS in the past to help the rest of us to prepare for reality down the road. Right now I've still been able to keep my simple carb cravings in check, mostly. I really LOVE the idea of a few Hershey kisses at the end of the day. It is less of a temptation when you pre-plan a certain amount. Thanks for sharing that tip.

Hello and welcome. It's really good that the sleeve is still working when you eat right. (Your words not mine! ;)) I have to agree with KM above about that accountability factor. AND about the small, sweet treat at the end of the day. I make sugar free pudding which mostly takes care of my sweet tooth. I use chocolate fudge sugar free pudding, add a scoop of chocolate protein powder and 2 T of PB Fit. It tastes like a Funny Bone .. if you know what those are!! (if not it's basically a peanut butter & chocolate twinkie) and since it's sugar free and I add protein, I convince myself it's super good for me lol

But my advice is always this: Measure and track your food, all of it, before it ever goes in your mouth. It forces you to get your brain involved and make an actual choice. Sometimes that choice is F* it, I want some ice cream. But after putting it in, I often decide to have HALF a serving. And those times that I actually decide F*it and eat the whole serving, at least I know what I've gotten myself into. I do not track all the time, but occasionally I have to reel myself back to reality.

Hi and welcome to the group. I am almost 2 years out and I totally get what you are saying. I've had struggles of old habits coming back and it is so hard to break them. This past week I feel like I am doing a lot better but prior to that I had been in a slump all winter. Had some regain and I am trying hard to get that back off.

I know what it feels like to be angry at oneself which can often lead to doing more of the unwanted behavior. For me, I knew I needed to get my mind in a better place. I needed to really do some hard thinking about what I was doing and work on a plan to get myself to stop the self sabotage and remove the negative thinking.

Slider foods are the worst. It totally defeats our tool. Try to cut those out and replace them with fruits or vegies. Apples or grapes will help with the sweet cravings. Raw veggies will help with the desire for crunch.

Above all, know you aren't alone. We will encourage you along the way. You can do this!

And this is my new motto:

Hi - welcome to the group.

I was a 29 year plus insulin dependent diabetic. I took multiple shots a day plus multiple oral meds. I had bypass surgery 1/2020 and within a very short time frame was off all of my diabetic medications.

Now, with that said - I’ve lost 100+ pounds. But I know for certain if I ate the foods - candies, cookies, ice cream - that I was eating prior to my surgery - in no time I’d be back on those medications and gaining weight. I can tell if I’ve eat something higher in carbs than normal for me - I get a head rush and I know to lay off carbs for a bit. Keep them within an acceptable range for my body.

I totally understand loving/addiction to sweets! I was a hard core chocoholic. Not a pretty sight when I was craving that stuff. It can be hard to break away from this habits.

Even now, I’m not as huge a fan of chocolate/sweets in general since surgery. The WLS I had was the tool I needed to jumpstart my weight loss and put me on the right path to attempt to change my piss poor eating habits and food choices.

Being accountable for everything I put in my body has changed so many bad habits and piss poor food choices. I write down everything I eat and drink. I’m not saying you can never have sweets or sugary foods again - I’m saying you can once you get back on track - maybe you can - MODERATION is key. However if your addicted to sugary things. - you may have to find an alternate solution.

I‘m actually trying to gain some weight right now - but I know the empty calories of candy and so forth could help with that - but could also put me back diabetic medications. For me personally- it’s just not worth it. I’ll gain weight slowly.

I strongly urge you to reach out to a Bariatric nutritionist to help get you moving back in the right direction. You did it once - sleeve still works - you CAN do it again. Best of luck to you!

Hi. If you are interested, search YouTube for Dr. Robert Cywes, "The Carb Addiction Doc". He is a bariatric surgeon located in Florida. He has wonderful information on working through carb addiction and how weight loss is really all about the mind. He does telemed consultations however I know he is currently booked until AUGUST! (August 1st is my appointment date; that's how I know.) Best of luck to you.

Back