• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Support-a personal reflection

3momchaos

Definition of support via Merriam Webster.com
1: to endure bravely or quietly
2a(1): to promote the interests or cause of
b(1): ASSIST, HELP
4a: to hold up or serve as a foundation or prop for
5: to keep from fainting, yielding, or losing courage : COMFORT
6: to keep (something) going
I chose a few of the many definitions of support to show what I think this community is about (my own personal opinion). We support each other, but the first definition, to endure bravely or quietly, speaks to me. Many of us, personal support system or not, have had to endure our weight demons without anyone around us knowing what we are each going through deep down. We’ve tried weight loss pills, crazy diets (confession: I once went on a potato diet. I lost weight in a very short amount of time, but it wasn’t sustainable. And I can say that here without fear of judgement.) But I feel like this group encompasses definitions 2-6. We promote each other’s interests in helping with questions and personal guidance. We hold each other up when we faulter or struggle. We help one another when we want to yield by reminding why we are all on this journey. And we keep each other going. Whether it is through a private message of encouragement, hilarious memes to brighten our day, or just a check in to see how someone is doing.
I’ve been a member of this community since January, not very long at all, and I’m still months away from my surgery (thanks covid!), but one thing that I love is even though we may be on different timelines, is we can still support one another through kind words, personal experience, or ultimately just saying, “it might be best to ask your doctor about that one”, and the point is we are concerned and encouraged by each other. I’ve been lurking in the background this past week, seeing how everyone is doing and reading a few posts, but if I am going to get support, I need to give support. I’m so fortunate to have found this group when I started my surgical journey, and I am looking forward to being here for a long time.

Attachments

• C4B019A7-3411-4978-822F-9472A97CAA74.jpeg
    C4B019A7-3411-4978-822F-9472A97CAA74.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 69
Back