• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery’s in a little under 2 weeks

So I started my pre-op diet and I’m having a hard time,I’m starving and just irritated I was so upset today had a little mini melt down and wondered if this is all worth I need advice or words of encouragement anything at this point ...thanks all in advance
Hello I’m on day six of my liquids. Felt like you two days ago! Headaches and just wondering if I’m doing the right thing. I turn the TV on Sunday morning and there was David Jeremiah talking about risks, taking risks is like having faith and I am going to proceed knowing that anything in life worth having is worth fighting for!!!!! Hang in there!!!

It's worth it! Do that pre-op diet as best you can. Recent studies in Europe showed evidence that people who stick to the pre-op diet the closest tend to have better results after. It really does suck pre-op because of hunger when you are on a reduced-calorie diet. Your brain thinks you are starving and wants you to eat to maintain your heavier weight. It's very tough, but keep it up. It will get here and then you'll be on the other side.

IT'S WORTH IT! Stay strong! You can do it!

Hi, guys I am scheduled for surgery on Oct 12 and I am going to start my diet the 28. My diet will be a protein shake for breakfast one cup of veggies for a snack between lunch another protein shake for lunch, one cup of veggies for a snack, and finally, a small portion of food for dinner. Finally, a day before surgery only liquids will be my diet. What do you guys think? Does this sound good? I am very nervous and scared.

This was recommended by the dietitian. I did ask her about a liquid diet because I have been seen a lot of videos about it, She said we don't do that here, so I am a little concerned.
Programs vary significantly clinic to clinic. My surgeon did not require a liquid diet either, wanted me to loose 10% of my starting weight via a low-carb diet. That was in line with what my nutritionist would want me to follow once I was healed post-op.

24 hours before surgery, I could only have clear liquids and was required to drink magnesium citrate to flush my system out but I've found that to be the case for most surgeries or procedures that involve the digestive system. So don't fret that you weren't put on a liquid diet before surgery. :)

Oh, okay it's good to know! I talked to one of the nurses this morning about it and she told me what you said. A clear diet a day before surgery because they are going to work in the digestive system, not in the colon. This makes a lot of sense now, thank you so much!

This was recommended by the dietitian. I did ask her about a liquid diet because I have been seen a lot of videos about it, She said we don't do that here, so I am a little concerned.
I didn't have a liquid diet before surgery. I didn't even have to be on a liquid diet the day before surgery. And I had an open procedure RYGB.

My surgery was 13 years ago. What I have been hearing from people here for the last two years is that the liquid diet supposedly shrinks the liver. Well I don't think it really shrinks the liver, which is the largest organ in your body, but I do think that is a lot more room in there among all your organs and intestines and your stomach if you have an open procedure, and a lot more room to work. I imagine that's the same with a laparoscopic procedure as well.

Your pre-op diet sounds fine to me. Your post-op diet will be the one that has to be very strict. Keep us posted.

Hi, guys I am scheduled for surgery on Oct 12 and I am going to start my diet the 28. My diet will be a protein shake for breakfast one cup of veggies for a snack between lunch another protein shake for lunch, one cup of veggies for a snack, and finally, a small portion of food for dinner. Finally, a day before surgery only liquids will be my diet. What do you guys think? Does this sound good? I am very nervous and scared.

I wish I had that diet!! Mine was all liquids. I’m in my 2nd week preop and had split pea soup today which turned out to be delicious, I’m down 16 pounds since surgery but haven’t lost anymore over 3 days.

Hello guys! I did have my surgery just last Monday everything went well, I was in the hospital until Wednesday. I suppose to be there only one day but I didn't reach their goal on Tuesday of 64 oz of water, they keep me another day. I did push myself to drink water overnight and part on Wednesday morning. Then my doctor let me go home, I been feeling a little weird, I don't know how to explain this feeling. I am very pale and sometimes I feel dizzy. I haven't take any pain pill since I leave the hospital, this morning I started feeling anxious and some sweating. It is this normal? thanks in advance!

So I started my pre-op diet and I’m having a hard time,I’m starving and just irritated I was so upset today had a little mini melt down and wondered if this is all worth I need advice or words of encouragement anything at this point ...thanks all in advance
All I can say is to call your Dr. or the dietician and tell them about the issue. I am going through this right now and there is no way I can do 2 slimfast a day and one frozen dinner. I am substituting snacks for the ones that are low cal. and hoping that works for me. I have IBS and my stomach hurts if it is empty- also have reflux which makes it worse. Some people cannot live on under 1000 cal a day for 2 weeks so I empathize with you.

Hello guys! I did have my surgery just last Monday everything went well, I was in the hospital until Wednesday. I suppose to be there only one day but I didn't reach their goal on Tuesday of 64 oz of water, they keep me another day. I did push myself to drink water overnight and part on Wednesday morning. Then my doctor let me go home, I been feeling a little weird, I don't know how to explain this feeling. I am very pale and sometimes I feel dizzy. I haven't take any pain pill since I leave the hospital, this morning I started feeling anxious and some sweating. It is this normal? thanks in advance!
Call your Dr. immediately- as these are concerns for post surgery. I know there are some symptoms that are normal post -op but can't remember if those are some of those?

Back