• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery 2 weeks away

Bajean

Surgery is just 2 weeks away and I'm nervous....mostly about being sick from anethesia .....stocking up on protien shakes, but do I need to get liquid vitamins? Right now taking tablet form...and got a bunch of chewable samples....also been bad last couple of weeks, having ice-cream and other no-no's, and feeling extremely guilty about it...any advice?

Surgery is just 2 weeks away and I'm nervous....mostly about being sick from anethesia .....stocking up on protien shakes, but do I need to get liquid vitamins? Right now taking tablet form...and got a bunch of chewable samples....also been bad last couple of weeks, having ice-cream and other no-no's, and feeling extremely guilty about it...any advice?

Hi Bajean!!! WELCOME to the Forum!!!

I'm not sure if you have had anesthesia lately, but it is so much better than it used to be. I had the bariatric surgery last summer, then I had gallbladder surgery in May and a hysterectomy 2 weeks later and my hernia fixed plus numerous procedures to get a stone out of my liver duct, all under major anesthesia, and the anesthesia was a breeze. No nausea, no problem at all.

Your surgeon's office normally gives you a list of chewable or liquid vitamins and minerals that they recommend. Some brands are better than others.

I think the reason you are eating forbidden foods, ice cream and sweets now is because you are thinking this is your very last chance to eat yummy treats forever before you have your surgery. You must change your thinking on this. Once your surgery is over and your stomach pouch is healed, it will be tiny. You must not stretch it back to a large size. You need to eat very small amounts. This will satisfy you if you eat slowly so your stomach has the time to send you the message that you are full. Of course every sugeon has different rules but my surgeon and nutritionist's rules are that after 8 weeks post surgery, I can eat any food in very small amounts. They stress to eat your protein and nutritious foods first but if I want a spoonful of ice cream or a couple bites of birthday cake then I'm allowed. Only a small amount will fit in your new sized tummy. The key to this is eat very slowly, and eat VERY small amounts because if you overeat you will throw up, and eventually you will stretch your stomach out which will ruin everything you have accomplished with having bariatric surgery. After bariatric surgery I have found I have lost my taste for sweets, of course I had an RNY bypass and when I eat any sugar I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach because my body can no longer digest sugar, so its real easy to pass up sweets or just have a small taste. Your surgeon should have a nutritionist that you can talk to and find out just what your rules and guidelines are so you can succeed.

Remember that food should not be the focus of your life but simply the gas that fills your tank so you can enjoy a healthy, wonderful life!

Before I had my bariatric surgery, I used to start a new diet about once a month to try to lose weight. So for a few days before my new diet began I would have a few days of eating my favorite fattening foods and sweets because I thought that after my diet began that I would not be eating them again. Once my new diet began I would not be able to stick to it for long. After time Instead of losing weight I actually was gaining weight, slowly but surely gaining pound after pound. I did not have the strenghth to give these foods up for long.

The bariatric surgery saved my life and it changed my thinking about food. I plan my meals ahead that are naturally high in protein but low in calories. I have favorite nutitional meals that I like such as 1/3 of a half breast of chicken (50 calories), stewed tomatoes (18 cal.) and green beans (20 cal.). I may even eat a 1/3 of a baked potato (50 cal.) with this meal. So for under 150 calories I have a meal that satisfies my hunger, is nutritious, and helps me lose weight. Think ahead and have your meals planned so you can eat them when you are hungry. I have my chicken cooked and my cooked vegetables are in a plastic container in the fridge. I can heat them up in the microwave in a few minutes. Eat when it's time to eat. Don't let yourself get overly hungry. Get a hobby or a new interest in place of thinking too much about food.

Wishing you the best of luck. :)

Cheyenne

Hi Bajean!!! WELCOME to the Forum!!!

I'm not sure if you have had anesthesia lately, but it is so much better than it used to be. I had the bariatric surgery last summer, then I had gallbladder surgery in May and a hysterectomy 2 weeks later and my hernia fixed plus numerous procedures to get a stone out of my liver duct, all under major anesthesia, and the anesthesia was a breeze. No nausea, no problem at all.

Your surgeon's office normally gives you a list of chewable or liquid vitamins and minerals that they recommend. Some brands are better than others.

I think the reason you are eating forbidden foods, ice cream and sweets now is because you are thinking this is your very last chance to eat yummy treats forever before you have your surgery. You must change your thinking on this. Once your surgery is over and your stomach pouch is healed, it will be tiny. You must not stretch it back to a large size. You need to eat very small amounts. This will satisfy you if you eat slowly so your stomach has the time to send you the message that you are full. Of course every sugeon has different rules but my surgeon and nutritionist's rules are that after 8 weeks post surgery, I can eat any food in very small amounts. They stress to eat your protein and nutritious foods first but if I want a spoonful of ice cream or a couple bites of birthday cake then I'm allowed. Only a small amount will fit in your new sized tummy. The key to this is eat very slowly, and eat VERY small amounts because if you overeat you will throw up, and eventually you will stretch your stomach out which will ruin everything you have accomplished with having bariatric surgery. After bariatric surgery I have found I have lost my taste for sweets, of course I had an RNY bypass and when I eat any sugar I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach because my body can no longer digest sugar, so its real easy to pass up sweets or just have a small taste. Your surgeon should have a nutritionist that you can talk to and find out just what your rules and guidelines are so you can succeed.

Remember that food should not be the focus of your life but simply the gas that fills your tank so you can enjoy a healthy, wonderful life!

Before I had my bariatric surgery, I used to start a new diet about once a month to try to lose weight. So for a few days before my new diet began I would have a few days of eating my favorite fattening foods and sweets because I thought that after my diet began that I would not be eating them again. Once my new diet began I would not be able to stick to it for long. After time Instead of losing weight I actually was gaining weight, slowly but surely gaining pound after pound. I did not have the strenghth to give these foods up for long.

The bariatric surgery saved my life and it changed my thinking about food. I plan my meals ahead that are naturally high in protein but low in calories. I have favorite nutitional meals that I like such as 1/3 of a half breast of chicken (50 calories), stewed tomatoes (18 cal.) and green beans (20 cal.). I may even eat a 1/3 of a baked potato (50 cal.) with this meal. So for under 150 calories I have a meal that satisfies my hunger, is nutritious, and helps me lose weight. Think ahead and have your meals planned so you can eat them when you are hungry. I have my chicken cooked and my cooked vegetables are in a plastic container in the fridge. I can heat them up in the microwave in a few minutes. Eat when it's time to eat. Don't let yourself get overly hungry. Get a hobby or a new interest in place of thinking too much about food.

Wishing you the best of luck. :)

Cheyenne

Thanks Cheyenne for all the great advice......

What Cheyenne said.
It will be easier on you post-op if you can try to change your thinking before surgery about foods with no nutritional value. Since you will be eating much less, you really should put only things that add to your health and well-being into your mouth. A treat is OK once in awhile, but you can also change your mindset about treats. To me a bowl of grapes and yogurt tastes as good as a bowl of ice cream. A protein bar can kill that chocolate craving. There are a lot of options out there. You will be a new and happier person!

Back